Wednesday, November 08, 2023

NaBloPoMo Day 8: Stacks

The public library is my happy place. We are lucky to live about 2 miles from a great one. Apart from endless stacks of books, the library has a welcoming teen section where middle schoolers can hang out safely after school until parents finish out their workdays, homework help for kids, summer reading challenges for kids and adults, story time and free crafts, free concerts, semi-annual used book sales. They also have other things to check out that I have never taken advantage of, like museum passes and musical instruments. More than anything, the library is one of the few indoor places you can go to without being under constant pressure to buy buy buy. 

Libraries are under threat in the US, with books being banned, and budgets being cut. But they are my very favorite thing about living in this country, and I hope we can keep supporting them always and forever.

My current stack of
checked-out books

"The library is dangerous, full

Of answers. If you go inside,

You may not come out

The same person who went in."

-lines from Don't Go Into the Library by Alberto Rios (Read the full poem here)

2 comments:

  1. I agree so much with this post. In addition to all the great points you make, I also love that you can request that a title be purchased and they will purchase it and put it on hold for you! May libraries be free and forever.

    My library stack has the following books:

    - The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida by Shehan Karunatilaka
    - What You Are Looking for Is In the Library (so apt for this post!) by Michiko Aoyama
    - The White Lady by Jacqueline Winspear (I learned of this author through Maisie Dobbs on your blog years ago)
    - My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
    - The Country of the Blind by Andrew Leland
    - Old Babes in the Wood by Atwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They are so good about acquiring books for us on request. You may have to wait a bit but they will find it. I love the books you're reading. The only one I've read is My Name is Lucy Barton and I loved it.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.