Happy March! February was a short and speedy month- the days flew by. I've been making random meals, nothing blog-worthy, and his space has been quiet as a result. But before we head into March, here's a random round up of life in Feb 2023.
On Sunday, I made these hummus bowls that turned out hearty and tasty. The motivation was to get through a Costco-size tub of hummus that my daughter made me buy. Here were the components:
- Brown rice
- Chickpeas cooked with cherry tomatoes (they were squishy and needing using up) and spices
- Quorn grounds (mock meat) sauteed with green peppers and jalapenos
- Hummus (lots of it)
- Jarred Olive salad
- Carrots, cucumbers, onions, cilantro
|Toppings for the hummus bowl|
* * *
I am trying to make all my favorite cold-weather dishes while it is still cold weather out there. Developing this easy and fuss-free recipe for undhiyu- the Gujarati winter-special mixed vegetable dish- was a highlight of last winter for me. This month I made two big batches of undhiyu and happily ate my way through them with a few rotis as accompaniment.
* * *
We has a few friends over for a Valentine-themed potluck dinner. I made these "heart beet" patties- vegetable patties (the usual type, with potatoes, peas, green beans) with some beets cooked along with the potatoes to dye everything a bright pink. I just shaped them with my hands. My friend made heart-shaped Brazilian guava pastries. Other friends brought a beet and grapefruit salad- delicious!
|"Heart Beet" Valentine's Day patties|
|Heart thumbprint cookies made by my sister|
(two angled indentations of the thumb)
|Valentines made by my son for his classmates|
(idea found online)
|Valentines made by my daughter for her classmates|
(idea found online)
* * * Random photos incoming * * *
|A meal at a Persian restaurant|
|Signs of spring in the neighborhood-|
Also in Feb--
- I reconnected with a bunch of college friends- there is a reunion in the making. It is great to start chatting again like no time has passed at all. (In reality a LOT of time has passed since I was in college)
- I watched a production of The Vagina Monologues- I have seen it a few times before but this production was special because a close friend of mine was in it. Like others in this production, she isn't a professional actress. She is a graphic designer and a mom. She was SO GOOD!! It blows me away how much talent is among us. If you ever get a chance, don't miss this show. Every time I have seen it, I have laughed and cried and come away empowered.
- I ran my first 5K in a few years. The course was frustratingly hilly (as is every course in our wonderful town) and I was just thankful to finish without puking or passing out. I posted a decent time- better than I expected- considering that I really started running regularly last month. I'm motivated to keep at it. Say what you will about running but it is a very efficient workout. Even better, I now have a running buddy who I run with most weekends. She elevates the whole thing for me.
Your turn: Tell me your highlights of February.