Thursday, November 16, 2023

NaBloPoMo Day 16: Sweater

My friend Cathy taught me to knit in 2008 and what a gift it has been in my life- it has brought me endless joy even though I don't have a project on the needles at all times. Cathy started as a food blog friend and became a real life friend- we've stayed in each other's homes and everything. Just one example of how food blogging has enriched my life in tangible and intangible ways, giving me much more than I put into it. 

Anyway, I had not been knitting much this year and wanted to get back into it. I used my stashed yarn to make some hats as a warm-up. And then inspiration struck- I saw a pattern for a beautiful top that I immediately wanted to knit. 

In my years of knitting, I've made so many different projects from baby sweaters to blankets to scarves and dozens of hats, but have made exactly one garment for myself. (But I do love it and wear it often- don't remember if I ever shared it on the blog.) The reason is that garments have to fit, and it is annoying to spend days/weeks knitting an item only to have it not fit. But I really wanted to make this sweater.

I purchased yarn for the project and when it arrived after some delay, I realized with dismay that I bought the wrong yarn- a thinner version than what the pattern called for. So now I had to look for an different project for the wrong yarn, and in this roundabout way, I found this pretty summer top which could be knitted by holding two strands of the thinner yarn.

It was a really fun, meditative project since the pattern is not complicated. I took the project along on a work trip to Chicago last month and had the BEST time turning down invitations to schmoozing receptions and instead sitting luxuriously alone in my hotel room knitting this sweater and watching reruns of Law & Order. 

AND IT FITS. Sorry for shouting, I'm just excited to wear something I've knitted myself. And now I am dreaming of making more wearables this winter. 

So...I made it through 16 days of NaBloPoMo and it was refreshing to post again, and a whole lot of fun. Thanks to everyone who has been reading along and leaving sweet comments. It shook me out of my rut. 

But today I feel a slight sense of dread and overwhelm. Dunkie is clearly declining, although he is still eating and walking. There are clear signs that things are changing, like his insistence on sleeping at night outside on the porch this week, when he has slept indoors in our bedroom his whole life. I want to spend as much time with our big boi as possible. 

On top of this, Thanksgiving snuck up on me this year and is now just a week away. Two of my favorite people are arriving for the holiday. This time of year always feels very hectic and the calendar is packed. Work has been stressful and I have a long list of things to check off before I take some vacation time next week. Clearly, something has to give. And so I'm ending the blogging streak early with a promise to myself that I will post every weekend. Thanks all, and I'll see you in a few. 💙

16 comments:

  1. Its been wonderful to hear from you everyday. Please keep posting regularly. I've borrowed 2 of the books you reviewed in your post earlier this month and I'm loving the Happiness Habit so far.
    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sowmya- I am really really really going to try to post regularly :) I hope you enjoy the books!!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for giving me something to look forward to every day these past couple of weeks. You did a fine job of covering a variety of interesting topics. Hope you enjoy a well-deserved break with Duncan and family. Happy Thanksgiving, Nupur!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this kind note! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

      Delete
  3. I’ve loved reading your posts everyday . Looked forward to it like a daily dose of favorite coffee . The sweater is so pretty and your talent appears endless . I have no words to offer for it hat you are going through with dunkie .. it is literally the hardest time in the life of dog ‘s family .. just sending you all and dunkie all the love I can possibly send . He looks so peaceful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, what a nice thing to say. Being compared to favorite coffee is a TRUE compliment.

      Yes, it is the hardest thing about having a dog in one's life. He does nap peacefully all day which is why we are letting the days go by in "watchful waiting". I am trying to remind myself of this meditation stuff I have been reading lately- everything is transient and impermanent.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Nupur. That top is lovely! Love that shade as well... I'd love to know the exact name. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, and lots of love to little Duncan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lakshmi- Thank you for the wishes and Happy Thanksgiving to you! The yarn is Sandnes Garn Tynn Line 4335 Raspberry Cream. It really is a beautiful colorway. I wanted to buy the "Line" yarn and accidentally bought "Tynn Line" (thin line- a thinner version) ::facepalm::

      Delete
  5. Sweet Duncan! I hope he lives the rest of his life in as much comfort as possible. Sending good wishes his way!
    (And gorgeous sweater.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the very kind wishes. They are appreciated!

      Delete
  6. Nupur, you inspire in so many ways!! I have read you for years, right when you started blogging. You do so many things and with such passion, one of my favorite bloggers! ❤️

    Much love and strength to Duncan. It’s heartbreaking really…your family has had such rich life with Dale and Duncan. I hope and pray that may you still get enough time with this sweet guy and hope he doesn’t suffer. And now I’m tearing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this kind note ❤️ Yes, we have been blessed with good bois in our life and will do our best to give him a good life until the end.

      Delete
  7. It has been truly wonderful to read you again every day! I have been in my own blobbing rut but much worse than yours :) having gone a year without a post, so I know what you mean when you say something needs to give.

    Sending lots of wishes and good vibes your way to help you get as much good time as possible with your wonderful friend and family member, Duncan.
    -PJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fingers crossed for Duncan and hugs to you Nupur. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for reviving your blog. I enjoy it immensely and to see it back made me happy.

    Hope Duncan is surrounded by his lovely family when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing, Nupur. That top is delightful! Also, love that shade – I'd be interested to know the exact name. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, and sending lots of love to little Duncan. https://basicoapparel.com/





    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.