Tuesday, November 07, 2023

NaBloPoMo Day 7: Salad

With the apple glut that I mentioned yesterday, I poked through my Pinterest folder to look for apple recipes to try. Most were cakes and sweets but I found a Waldorf salad recipe that I was excited for. The original Waldorf salad is an American classic, invented at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in the 1890s. This variation is light, crisp and refreshing, and one for the recipe binder. I always like foods that combine savory and sweet flavors. 

Celery is not a staple in my kitchen but I am coming to like it more and more. Especially since whole celery can be wrapped snugly in foil and stored in the crisper for weeks. I used 1 can of chickpeas for this recipe and eyeballed the other quantities to match. It made 4 big servings. 

Chickpea Waldorf Salad (original recipe here)

1. Make the dressing by whisking together in a big bowl or container:

  • Yogurt
  • Apple cider vinegar
  • Dijon mustard
  • Sweet pickle juice (or honey or sugar)
  • Salt 
  • Freshly ground pepper
2. To the dressing, add the following and toss together:
  • Chickpeas (cooked)
  • Celery, chopped
  • Apple, chopped
  • Red grapes, halved
  • Walnuts, chopped
  • Onion, minced
  • Parsley, minced
3. Refrigerate and serve on a bed of fresh baby spinach.

The salad also has a festive, fruity flavor and would be right at home for a holiday meal or potluck as a counterpoint to heavier dishes. See you tomorrow! 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh looks good, I might try this with sprouts in the place of chickpeas. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.