Monday, November 06, 2023

NaBloPoMo Day 6: Apples

Apple season is here! Apples are a year-round staple for us but they really shine in Fall. Our high school advertised a fundraiser for locally grown apples, and I bought and paid for a half-bushel of the Gala variety- a crisp and mild snacking apple. The day the apples were delivered to my front door, I looked at the gigantic box (50 lbs) and thought, no way that's a half-bushel. I emailed the high schooler and said, hey, I think you accidentally gave me someone else's order, I did not order a whole bushel. No mistake, the reply came, we had extra apples so we gave you more than you ordered. 

How kind!! I started handing out grocery bags of apples to neighbors, co-workers. You get an apple, and you get an apple. And we still have a fridge full of apples. Luckily, they last for weeks and months, and all will be enjoyed. Here are a couple of ways I used my apple bounty.

Some days ago, we made Starbucks knock-off drinks at home (a post for another day) so I had toffee bits on hand and caramel sauce in the fridge. 

For a football-watching potluck at a neighbor's house, I made caramel apple slices by simply drizzling caramel sauce on apple slices and sprinkling them with Heath toffee bits. It was a hit. 

 

I had signed up to contribute a dessert for a teacher appreciation dinner, and remembered the apple bundt cake that I posted in Nov 2015. (I was also reminded of the wonderful Impossible pumpkin pie which I should make this month, on or around Thanksgiving.) I ended up making the same recipe again for a neighborhood potluck on Halloween.

The apple bundt cake recipe is here and it comes together so simply. The best part is that is a beloved family recipe that someone shared so kindly. 

Apple Bundt Cake (adapted from Epicurious)
  1. Set out 4 eggs to come to room temp.
  2. Preheat oven to 350F 
  3. First, I made "cake goop" by mixing 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, 2 tbsp. vegetable oil, and 2 tbsp. AP flour in a small container. I brushed the goop thinly and evenly all over the inside of the bundt pan. As far as I am concerned, this is the most important step in getting the cake to release beautifully from the pan. 
  4. Apple mix: Wash and chop 4 apples into medium pieces. Toss with cinnamon and 2 tbsp. sugar and set aside.
  5. Dry mix: In a bowl, whisk together 3 cups AP flour, 3.5 tsp. baking powder and 0.5 tsp. salt.
  6. Wet mix: In a big bowl, whisk together 4 eggs, 1 cup veg oil, 1/4 cup any kind of milk or orange or apple juice, 1.5 cups sugar, vanilla extract and one of these flavorings: fiori di sicilia extract OR cardamom OR orange zest.
  7. Mix dry mix into wet mix to make a thick batter.
  8. Spoon half the batter into the bundt pan. Cover with the apple mix. Top with the rest of the batter.
  9. Bake for 50 minutes or more, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes clean or with crumbs. 
  10. Cool for 10 minutes in pan, then run a knife around edges, and turn the cake out onto a cooling rack. 
This cake has an outstanding crumb. It is my ideal of what a cake texture should be like. The inside is soft and the crust is golden and chewy. The cake can be cut into perfect slices.


Tomorrow: another recipe with apples, but not a dessert. 

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful looking cake! My MIL makes a lovely apple koshimbir with apple juliennes, salt, sugar, pepper, cilantro, lemon juice, shengdana koot. Sounded so odd to me but I was surprised at how good it tasted. Kind of like apple slices with peanut butter 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will have to make your MIL's apple koshimbir, it sounds fantastic! I can see how those flavors would work together in a refreshing way.

      Delete
    2. I remember eating a little katori of apple-cabbage salad as part of a thali at a local Indian restaurant. It was nice! Sweet and crunchy... :)

      Lakshmi

      Delete
  2. Wow your Bundt cake looks awesome. I’m afraid of the Bundt pan and baked goods sticking in them. And of the bottom half not rising well. I’ll try this goop idea. Our favourite dessert with apples is an apple crumble with custard sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your apple crumble with custard sauce sounds wonderful! I am no longer afraid of fancy cake pans because the cake goop really does a nice job of releasing cakes. Not all cake recipes work in bundt pans (delicate cakes will collapse), but the ones designed for bundt pans work so well and are quite presentable.

      Delete
  3. I would have suggested apple pie but galas aren't great pie apples. I found Judy Rodgers apple sauce recipe on Orangette a decade ago and made it with our crisp midwestern Fall apples every year for a number of years...until we moved away from the Midwest (sob!). But my absolute favorite apple dessert, sidelining even the mighty pie, is apple tarte tatin. Every respectable apple lover must make it at least once and I'm not taking any opinions on it at this time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made tarte tatin (and don't remember ever tasting it either) but it has been on my on my baking bucket list for a long time- I think what keeps me fro trying it is this: puff pastry shines when it is flaky and crispy, and doesn't it get soggy when it is under the apples and sauce?

      Delete
    2. The puff pastry goes on top of the apples and is not flipped until after it's fully cooled down so the pastry stays crisp. If you cool the half cooked apples and chill the pastry thoroughly before baking, it does not get soggy.

      Delete
    3. Makes sense! I'll have to put this on my baking bucket list for this season.

      Delete
  4. Apple koshimbir sounds like a lovely idea! and one can use any variety of apples!! Nupur, have you checked the tart tartin recipe from NYT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, because I don't subscribe to the NYT cooking section. But I'll have to try it a tarte tatin this season seeing as it comes highly recommended :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.