Thursday, November 15, 2012

Halfway There

We're at the halfway point of the blogging marathon that is NaBloPoMo, so don't mind if I pause a little to catch my breath.

I'm going to spend some time today responding to your comments on previous posts. I so enjoy it when you take the time to share your thoughts, enlighten me, challenge what I'm saying, make me think some more. Seriously, I love you guys so much. And to keep this conversation going, I have to take some time to respond properly to comments.

Some of the blogs that I read regularly are also participating in NaBloPoMo- so here's a shout out to you. Arundati has been making dazzling Diwali treats day after day, and she has posted some lovely Diwali decor ideas too (someone was asking about that a few days ago).

Siri does something that I just love and admire- she is a supporter of Vaidehi Ashram, a refuge for girls in Hyderabad, India. Now blogs are wonderful because they give us a glimpse into lives other than our own, but bloggers usually fit into the privileged, middle class bracket. By writing about the girls in the ashram and photographing their lives, Siri is giving them a voice and making them visible. Recently, she did some fund-raising on her blog and sent the girls on a week-long vacation (their first ever). And that my friends is the true power of the internet.

One of the best things about NaBloPoMo is that you come upon some fresh new blogs, and my favorite find so far this month is Cheeky Chilli by Sharmila. I love the way Sharmila writes, in a voice that is quiet yet evocative. And- psst- she's giving away a sample of homemade dhansak masala, so go on and check out her blog if you haven't already found it.

If you're feeling lucky, you might also want to hop over and enter Bong Mom's giveaway- she'll reward one lucky winner and their favorite charity. 

P.S. A friend reported that she's unable to post comments on my posts. I wonder- anyone else having this problem? Is yes, e-mail me and I'll try and figure out what's going on.

See you in the other half of NaBloPoMo tomorrow!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out Nupur. It feels great to get more people know about the ashram and give them a medium to help them out. Truly, the power of internet is just amazing, as you said. Half way already done? Wow, It feels like yesterday when I was reading you Noodles + Tofu + TJ's sauce post ;-).

    Cheers to rest of the 15 posts.
    Siri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been enjoying your photo series about the girls' vacation!

      Delete
  2. Nupur, I'm sitting here at my desk blushing furiously (only one couldn't tell, thank goodness, darker complexions are really good at these times). I'm truly, truly honoured to read what you think about my writing. I love your voice and ideas and your insights these last few November days have been inspiring, providing the fuel to keep me going on NaBloPoMo.
    Thank you so much for your generosity and for being such a wonderful inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sharmila- thank you for saying that!! Glad we can enjoy each other's posts through this month.

      Delete
  3. Nupur, I love your style of writing and read your posts very thoroughly. This is the first time I am commenting on your blog.Reading your posts everyday this month is a wonderful treat for sure...Thanks for all the info and insight you provide through your blog.
    I have a request for your future posts. Could you please enlighten us on your experiences and give some tips on buying a house in US...I am asking you this as I am struggling with lots of basic questions...like do we have to go for new constructions even if they happen to be condos or look for individual old homes if they are separate(1960s and 1970s construction), realtor issues, closing costs etc... Sorry for the long comment:)

    -Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee- I know it looks like I often write posts about things I know little to nothing about, but I TRULY know nothing about buying a house. We did it in a very fly by the seat of our pants way.
      We didn't care whether our house was old or new- it just had to be something we liked, that fit our needs.

      Delete
  4. I am unable to post comments using my IPad but normal PC works fine. So for all the posts below where u don't find my lonnnng comments :) they were lost because I tried posting them using my IPad...I was too lazy to type again.

    And if I haven't said this before, I love you for reading all the comments and answering them as time permits...its a really special gesture, many bloggers don't realise how it really makes a reader feels 'connected'...it completes the circle....just like when u give a hug u end up getting one too! :)

    - Priti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah good to know that the regular PC works. And I love reading thoughtful comments and responding to them- so thanks for taking the time to comment :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for mentioning me here Nupur... my stats have been hit out of the park

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.