Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Tuesday Soup

'tis the season for soup, although here in NYC, the weather is amazingly mild for November...famous last words, right? I want to share my all-time favorite soup recipe with you. My mom calls this tuesday soup although I can assure you that you are allowed to make it any old day of the week. Tuesday soup is very easy to make and calls for very basic ingredients, making it a good choice for a busy weeknight supper.
Tuesday Soup

tuesdaySoup
Makes 3-4 servings
Ingredients
For croutons:
3 slices day-old bread
1 tbsp olive oil
For soup:
1 large potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
2 large tomatoes, cut into chunks OR 1 cup tomato puree
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. butter
1 tsp. sugar
salt and pepper to taste
Optional garnishes:
shredded cheese (swiss/cheddar/your favorite)
light cream
Method:
1. Make croutons: Cut bread into small even cubes. Heat olive oil in a skillet and fry the bread cubes on low heat, stirring occasionally, til bread is golden and crispy. Set aside.
2. Combine veggies in a pot, add just enough water to cover the veggies. Cover the pot, bring to a boil, then simmer till veggies are tender. This step can also be done in double-quick time in a pressure cooker if you own one.
3. Puree the veggies using a blender. Return to pot. You may need to add some water depending on whether you like your soup thin or brothy. Add milk, butter, sugar, salt and pepper to soup and reheat.
4. Serve the soup garnished with a swirl of cream, shredded cheese and a few croutons.

Enjoy the soup and stay warm!

8 comments:

  1. Mmmm...this is very much my kind of soup!

    I'll just have to save it for a cooler day; I was so looking forward to fall-like weather, and now the temps are back in the seventies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good! Very orange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nupur - this sounds delicious and easy (just my speed!). I have a big old can of tomato puree in my cupboard and I was just looking at it yesterday and wondering why in the world I had bought it. I've got an idea what to do with it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I tried it out and it was yummy!

    I kinda made it a bit thick...should dilute it a bit more next time..

    Thnx for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The soup and the croutons look yummy. BTW, I tried your dalimbay bhaat and it turned out so great. I am trying to keep pace with you making your regional series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stephanie...I know what you mean by weird weather this year! Hope you get to try this sometime :)

    HI LisaSD, I know, it IS very orange and I took this picture in artificial light, making it even more so!

    Hi Cathy, yeah, this one is too easy. BTW tomato puree is the most-used item in my pantry, seeing as so many Indian curries are tomato-based.

    Hi Ladyinred, glad it worked out!

    Hi Mika, glad it worked out. Those dalimbay dal also make for a delicious coconut-based curry. they just are so flavorful..thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your blog..keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nupur,

    I made this soup tonight for dinner. Easy and delicious! Though, mine didn't turn up the same bright orangish coloured as yours - mine was just a bit orange!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.