The kids have been wishing and hoping and begging for a dog for a while now, and when the school year started and our travels were behind us, we started the search for a new dog to bring home.
We started reading through the profiles of adoptable dogs on the websites of the county animal shelter and the humane society near us, and told our friends to keep an eye out for dogs on their social media and neighborhood email lists. Our two must-have were: (a) a gentle and friendly temperament and (b) one who would be content to nap while we were at work/school, knowing that there would be plenty of walks and playtime the rest of the time.
Sadly, there is no shortage of dogs- there must be about 50 or more dogs waiting for a home within just a 10 mile radius of us. Young/old, big/small, active/lazy...there are dogs of every stripe waiting for families.
![]() |
| Big smiles |
One dog's profile caught my eye- Max. It said things like-
- 7 year old gentle giant in need of a home, stat!
- ...simple man with simple needs....chill, lazy guy
- ...friendly with kids of all ages
- ...loves pets and being told he's a good boy
- We want to keep Max out of the overcrowded shelter at all costs. Unfortunately, his fate is uncertain there, since there are plenty of days when there are more dogs than kennels.
![]() |
| Max likes to shake paws |
What I know of Max's story is this-
- In mid-July, his previous owner surrendered him to the shelter for financial reasons.
- He struggled with life in the shelter and started deteriorating straight-away. His medical record tells the story of how he had to be heavily medicated (sedated) while in the shelter. It was obviously traumatic for him. He was neutered, vaccinated, and microchipped in there.
- Shelter staff recognized his struggle and found him a temporary foster home, where he did great BUT did not get along with the cat (or vice versa).
- They moved him to a different foster home; this one had two dogs. The foster parents adored him and wanted to keep him, but realized that Max preferred to be an only dog and also their two dogs didn't take to him.
- At this point, we saw the website profile, thought it might be a good fit, and reached out to the shelter.
- We had a meet and greet with Max in the shelter parking lot. The foster parents were amazing and gave us lots of info. (We could also see them evaluating us critically as a potential family, which is a good thing as they wanted Max to go to a good home.)
- All four of us loved Max and we adopted him on Friday, Sept 4, signing the papers at the shelter. That evening, the foster mom brought him to our house, along with a bag of toys and treats and a beautiful harness and leash- how generous they are. I could see that it was breaking her heart to leave him, but we assured her that we would take care of Max. I've been texting them updates. She told us that if we ever found that it isn't a good fit, they would take Max back. They are very invested in not seeing him return to the shelter under any circumstances.
![]() |
| Expressive and soulful eyes |
* * *
Labor day weekend was spent Max-maxxing, but I did get to try a new recipe- multigrain protein bread from King Arthur. In fact, I bought bread flour and pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds to make this recipe, and then left for months of travel. I had to use up those ingredients and quickly, since apparently I was serious about making it a while ago.Using the stand mixer, the bread dough came together very quickly, and being as warm as it is, it rose beautifully. The bread tasted wonderful! It was a bit crumbly, making me wonder if I did not knead it long enough. I will make this again.
* * *
My cousin Rani tai, an art therapist, was involved in making a wonderful documentary called Every Stitch Tells a Story. It is a short film, about 33 minutes long, and features stories about two types of embroidery found in Karnataka, Kasuti and Lambani.I love the fiber arts and enjoyed this documentary for many reasons, but particularly because I got to see family members talk about their passion. Among the people interviewed is my aunt Geeta kaki. And my cousin Rani tai who talks about my grand-aunt (her grandmother) Anu aji who lived to be 99 and was a legend in her own right. Watch it here!
While I was in India, my mother in fact gifted me a Kasuti-embroidered fabric piece that she had bought in Karnataka, and I had it sewn into a kameez/ tunic that I enjoy wearing.
![]() |
| Yoke of my kasuti tunic, featuring different styles of peacocks! |
* * *
Many thanks to Vishakha for recommending a "gateway" audiobook to me- The Correspondent by Virginia Evans. I finished listening to it this morning and I absolutely loved it! It is an epistolary novel, told entirely through letters. The main character, Sybil Van Antwerp, is a retired lawyer and the book covers her correspondence over 10 years while she is in her 70s. The audiobook has a great cast, and the voices of Sybil and her various people she writes letters to- everyone from a teenage boy to a customer service rep to her best friend to the authors of books she likes- brings her story to life. This book feels all the feels. It is a gem and I highly recommend it.
If, like me, you are a newcomer to audiobooks, let me tell you about the Libby app. I've had a US public library card for 25 years but only starting using this app a few months ago. It is so great. You just download the app and sign it using your regular library card credentials. There are thousands of audiobooks available and you can put a hold on them, just like for regular library books. Libby also has e-magazines- all the popular ones. (I am a big magazine junkie but rarely get my hands on them.)
I will have plenty of listening time while I walk Max. I've put Born a Crime by Trevor Noah on hold because I've read strong reviews for this audiobook. Happy to get other recommendations!






Please tell Max that I love him :) One more household member that has great taste in baked goods!
ReplyDeleteMax says he loves you too 🤗 He's fitting in so well into the family.
DeleteMax - maxxing is a word! Also another epistolary novel as an audio book is Meet Me at the Museum - I think you will like it
ReplyDeleteOoh, thanks, I will look for it!
DeleteCongrats on your newest family member! I loved the correspondent, and also highly recommend love and saffron, it’s a short and cozy read and an epistolary novel as well. My sister just recommended, dear Mrs. Bird, so I am excited to read that!
DeleteI was so happy reading this! Max-Maxx to your heart's content - he is such a sweetheart.
ReplyDeleteOf course, I enjoyed everything else you posted, but this news is extra special.
Kamini- he is honestly the sweetest dog ever, we are all in love. He's settling in nicely and his personality is coming out now.
DeleteMy bestie recommended The Correspondent but our local library had 169 holds on it! I guess I'll read it sometime in 2028. I must try the Libby app.
ReplyDeleteMax (I will forever associate any Max with Maximus Decimus Meridius) looks every bit gentle and friendly. I too am basic but hey, it's like the simplest dish on the menu is often what speaks the loudest about a restaurant. Vanilla types hold the world together.
The popular books are on hold forever, right? Luckily I'm in a smaller library system and you get books pretty fast.
DeleteMax is likely the opposite of a gladiator, he really is the gentlest and friendliest soul.
Hear, hear- more power to vanilla types!
Loved this post. Max is a handsome adorable guy. As sad as it was for his previous owner to give him up and all the struggles Max went through, he’s now with a happy loving family that will make up for all that he went through. Blessings to Max and his loving family
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind words and blessings. Max fits in very well into our little family, we are all in love with his big sweet boy.
DeleteLove seeing Max and hearing his story - am sure he will have a bit part in your blog stories! It is so wonderful for your kids to have a dog again - pets are great for kids. I sometimes wish I had a dog so I needed to get more walks in but I also feel maybe I could not be bothered (perhaps why a dog would help). I do like the idea of listening to podcasts while I walk.
ReplyDeleteThat embroidery in your picture is really beautiful. So wonderful to have the connection with your family who seem very skilled.
Hi Johanna- Thank you! Max has honestly made our home a happier place- the kids truly missed having a pet. The way they dote on him. Having a dog absolutely makes me walk a lot more, and in all weather. Somehow we always end up with dogs who crave long walks. (not all dogs do.)
DeleteI do have the extreme good fortune of having very talented family members. Almost each person is into something- art, crafts, music, all have a love for learning throughout their life.
Congrats on the new addition to the family! Max is lucky to have you, and vice versa. I am a follower of your blog for many years and want to thank you for your posts on food, motherhood, fitness, books and more. I am reading The Calamity Club and while long, have enjoyed it. Another book you may like is The Wedding People. Thank you Nupur.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this sweet note! We do feel very lucky to have Max- he is a gem and fits in so well into our little family. I'm glad you enjoy the blog- thank you for reading it over the years.
DeleteI did try The Wedding People a while ago and couldn't get into it. The Calamity Club is on my to-read list, glad to know you enjoyed it!
OH! Congratulations, Max is so adorable. I'm so glad he got his furever home with you. He is a Munni <3 !
ReplyDelete