Sunday, August 11, 2024

Salad Days and Flip Yogurts

Our whirlwind summer break of 2024 has come to an end, and a new school year has started- we have a third grader and a seventh grader this year. School starts very early here in the South- unlike in other parts of the US where schools start closer to Labor Day- and temperatures are still so high that kids sometimes have to have indoor recess to stay safe in the heat. 

Our son turned 8 last month, while he was visiting India with his dad, but when he got home we had a small celebration at home with an ice cream cake. I tried this recipe with good success- even busting out a piping bag and tip to make some decorative swirls with homemade whipped cream.

Ice cream cake for an 8th birthday
Other good eats this week-

This tahini dressing is called "liquid gold" on the original post and I am inclined to agree. It is plant based, is made by simply mixing a few ingredients in a bowl (no blender needed), and tastes fantastic on any kind of salad. I served it all week with a basic spring mix. A keeper dressing recipe!

Spring greens, cucumber, and
 tahini dressing

I'm making more of an effort to soak whole legumes regularly for sprouts. Here, I cooked whole moong bean sprouts lightly, and made a "bhel" of sorts by topping them with onion, tomato, chopped mixed greens, a bit of yogurt and cornflakes mixture- it made for a light, nutritious, and tasty summer dinner!

Sprouts bhel

There's a constant struggle of sorts in my home between the sugar-loving kids and my attempt to balance the "fun" foods with more wholesome meals and snacks that are not straight-up sugar-delivery devices.  My kids enjoy snacking on "flip yogurts"- the ones from Chobani and other brands sold in supermarkets- where you flip a small container of mix-ins into the yogurt and stir it together. They come, of course, in all sorts of enticing flavors.  

I've started making our own version at home by buying a tub of vanilla greek yogurt (I choose a lower sugar variety with a good amount of protein) and portioning it into small containers. And preparing tiny containers of mix-ins- a favorite is a combination of crushed Oreo cookies, crushed graham crackers, and chocolate chips. 

A batch of DIY flip yogurts

* * *

Media round up from this week:

  • Listened to a podcast episode that was highly recommended somewhere- The Mel Robbins Podcast "Let Them Theory" episode. It calls for a subtle but powerful mindset shift to stop controlling the behavior and choices of others, and to "let them" do whatever they want to do and focus your energy on your own life. 
  • Read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. First published in 1922, and translated from German, this is a classic short novel. It is a story written very simply, in easy language- a parable of a young man and his search for meaning through different seasons of life. The simple language belies the deeper philosophical message. This is a book definitely worth reading once in your life. 
  • Reading What Color is Your Parachute? by Richard Bolles, the all-time bestselling guide for finding meaningful work and career success. My current project is ending soon and I'm trying to be more thoughtful and intentional about what sort of work I want to do next. Wish me luck! 
  • Started watching The Good Place, a sitcom on Netflix. A self-absorbed young woman arrives in the "good place" after her death, but her placement is an error, and she tried to becomes a better person in an effort to earn her place there. I'm only 3 episodes in and it is pretty good so far.
  • My son and I watched the comedy movie Matilda (1996) yesterday on Netflix- Danny DeVito's over the top adaptation of the Roald Dahl book. It is a classic. My son was slack-jawed at the tyrannical principal in the movie, and expressed relief that he goes to a better school than the one shown in this movie!

* * *

A moment of fitness: I've had a wonderful time testing our my "fitness chats" with a variety of people- and I want to thank everyone who gave me an hour of their time, and their valuable feedback. It is inspiring to hear of each person's unique relationship to fitness over their lifetime. In every post going forward, I'll try to talk about one aspect of fitness.

Today, I'm thinking of a very basic question: Why is there such a disconnect between the need for exercise, and the average person's ability/motivation to exercise? 80% of US adults do not meet exercise requirements. (What exactly are the exercise requirements for adults? More on that in my next post.) 

Is it really necessary to exercise? All available research overwhelmingly suggests that this is the case. There is no reasonable debate any more about whether exercise is important. It is quite simply the closest thing we have to a magic pill. 

But why do we need to exercise? It just seems so darn inconvenient and pointless! The whole problem is an evolutionary mismatch between how humans evolved, over 6 million years or so, and the modern environment that we now live in, which has only existed for a few hundred years (negligible in evolutionary terms), with time and labor saving appliances like washing machines and dishwashers really only being widely available for a few decades. For millions of years, humans had no choice but to be active for hunting and gathering and survival; our brains and bodies and behaviors evolved for regular and rigorous exercise. Our bodies also evolved to consume sugar and fat whenever it was available and to rest whenever we could to avoid spending extra calories when not required. 

But here we are in modern life where everything has been turned upside down. On one hand, our fridges and pantries are full of caloric food that our bodies can't get enough of. On the other hand, with transportation and appliances, there are few natural opportunities to exercise. And that is why we now have to resort to "artificial exertion" with gyms and weights and exercise regimens and fitness apps and organized sports. We are expected to do these while working long hours in mostly sedentary jobs, and, for many people, while raising kids and caring for elders without the benefits of a "village". It is a tough and somewhat perverse situation to be in, even though we recognize that modern life blesses us with many advantages. 

What does all of this mean for us? If you don't intrinsically love to exercise, that is understandable and normal and expected. The good news is that you are a human- intelligent and adaptable. You can use behavior change strategies to put an exercise habit into place. The world of exercise is so vast that you can find something that you enjoy that will fit into your life. And the best news of all- because humans have evolved to exercise, once you start doing it, you reap the benefits and grow to tolerate it/ like it/ love it! But it all starts with understanding and accepting that exercise is essential and that we have to hack our inner tendencies and find a way to include it in our life.

An interesting article on this subject: Humans Evolved to Exercise (Sci Am, 2019)

* * *

A doe has been leaving her newborn fawn in 
our backyard for several hours every day this week

10 comments:

  1. So true! I love having exercised although I don't love exercising. I try to bike when the weather is nice and lift weights when I have time. I also just bought a mini-treadmill for the basement and am committing to at least 20 minutes a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I love having exercised"- 100%, Bek! I love how you're fitting in exercise, especially given your demanding career. We went on a bike tour in your city, and I was impressed by how bike-friendly it is! Enjoy the mini-treadmill.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting this oh so elaborate excerpt on exercise and human behaviour! Happy birthday to Niam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had an interesting revelation this year. I began a regular practice of Ashtanga Yoga two years ago. Previously I had resisted this format of yoga because I believed it was too "macho" for my taste. Anyway, my husband persuaded me to try a local class and I fell in love, haha! I think it has everything to do with the instructor and general class vibe. Anyway, as I started to feel stronger (physically), I found myself interested in other kinds of exercise/sport. We got a pair of badminton racquets (husband and I) and play 2-3x/week. I find that I am interested in trying my hand at volleyball, table tennis... haha! All of this is new to me as I was never the sporty type but I am loving it.

    Exercise gets a bad rap but there are so many fun and enjoyable ways to get your body moving. The more you move, the stronger you feel, and the more you want to move the body in other fun ways. I find play to be a lot more enjoyable than gym work, and I am so glad to have discovered this now.

    Lakshmi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lakshmi- I LOVE this story! It is so true that context and "fit" matters- the right group and right instructor makes all the difference. Whereas a poor fit can turn one off a particular exercise form.

      I love that non-sporty types can find the joy and fun in it at any point in their lives :) Thank you for this thoughtful and optimistic comment. Exercise is fun waiting to be discovered.

      Delete
  4. So much good stuff here. That tahini dressing looks delicious! Those home made yoghurt flips looks like a great compromise - I first came across them as muellers corners in the UK which are the original and best for me and the ones we get in Australia (including chobani) are not a patch on them but I would love to try some myself.

    The Good Place has hilarious characters but also thoughtful too about what is good. I now find myself amused by anyone called Derek after the character in the good place (I don't think he is in the first series but I don't remember).

    Matilda was very popular when my daughter was younger. It is so magical and fun with such a great brave and bookish main character. We watched the movie heaps of times, read the book, saw the musical and then the film of the musical. All are brilliant. 'When I grow up' in the musical is such a beautiful song that makes me remember being a kid!

    And your thoughts are interesting on exercise and how we need it but evolved into a sedentary lifestyle. I am not great on exercise but when I can I try to use my e-bike as transport which makes a huge difference to my fitness. I know it helps but don't like exercise for the sake of it so I find cycling useful because it is part of my lifestyle that helps me get from A to B easily rather than an additional activity to fit in to my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna- the tahini dressing is a must-try- great for salads and drizzling on bowls and such.

      I just started season 2 of The Good Place and don't think Derek has made an appearance yet? It is a pretty good series.

      I do love the bookishness of Matilda. The library always is my personal happy place. I have not seen the musical!

      Using your e-bike as transport is a great solution in every way- great exercise while saving fuel costs, better for the environment, getting fresh air. I wish every city was bike friendly. Ours isn't, really. Exercise should indeed be part of life instead of needing to be planned all the time.

      Delete
  5. I would like to start getting up earlier to excercise. In my head my goal is to be a part of the 5 am club. 🙂 Do you have any pointers to get there? I’m okay with either a response here or a blogpost in case it helps someone else too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being part of this club and exercising first thing in the morning :) A great way to start the day IMO (but I understand that everyone has a different body clock)

      Some tips that come to mind:
      1. Have everything ready to go the night before. Exercise clothing laid out, shoes and socks, prep breakfast and lunchboxes or whatever else your morning needs.

      2. If you're wanting to wake up at 5, you'll want to be in bed around 8:30- 8:45 pm the night before, and asleep by 9-9:30 pm (to give yourself 8 hours in bed which is typically what people need- adjust according to your needs).

      3. Make a cozy bedtime routine and stick to it. I love reading in bed for 30 mins before turning the lights out. Others like meditation, journaling, etc.

      4. Sleep hygiene- No screens in bedroom at all. Blackout curtains are a must for me. Keep the room dark, quiet, cool.

      5. Have something to look forward to in the mornings. For me, that's my cup of tea, and the NYT puzzles- wordle, connections, mini crossword, etc. It could be music, podcast, etc.

      6. Make an early morning date with an exercise buddy. That's what gets my running buddy going- she wakes up early on Sunday because we have a run scheduled and she doesn't want to text me and cancel/postpone.

      Good luck!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.