Saturday, December 09, 2023

Kale Salad and Wraps

For the last several months, I buy a bunch of kale every time I am at the grocery store. I make one and only one thing with it- kale salad. My daughter eats this salad by the bowlful. She cannot get enough of it. I certainly do not eat it by the bowlful but have loved it as an addition to all sorts of meals. 

This is one salad where you use the best kitchen tools in the world- your own two hands. Thoroughly wash hands and then use them to coax the kale fibers to break down into a tasty salad.  

Washed kale piled 
into the biggest bowl I own

Massaged Kale Salad

  1. Take 1 bunch kale (generally, I use curly kale.) and strip the leaves off the kale stems. The idea is to remove the tough, lower part of the stem. Tender stems are OK to keep.
  2. Wash the kale leaves thoroughly 
  3. Dry the leaves in a salad spinner 
  4. Give them a rough chop
  5. Place kale leaves in a large bowl
  6. Add 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp. olive oil
  7. Using clean hands, massage the kale leaves, squeezing them by the handful for 5 minutes or so. The kale gets glossy and reduces in volume (see pics). 
  8. Store kale salad in the fridge. 
Kale salad

Kale wraps: I made these wraps as a "car dinner" for my sister and nephew as they rode home from the airport. It was just a combo of whatever I had in the fridge but turned out very tasty. 
  • Spinach tortillas
  • Pesto
  • Kale salad
  • Fresh mozzarella
  • Fresh tomato
  • Pickled pepperoncini


* * * 
December always feels like the busiest month of the year. And we don't even have any of the family obligations around the holidays that most of my friends do! Whatever I do, I choose to do. This time of year, there are opportunities to help out the community in small ways. It is the kind of shopping I love most- picking out a child's wish list and being their Secret Santa by buying lego sets and other goodies. Buying a few sets of new holiday pajamas for kids in need. 

There are many other things on the to-do list: making treats with my kids for their stalls in the holiday market. Putting together a few gifts for coworkers and the kids' teachers. A door decorating contest at work! I'd love to make cookie boxes for a few close friends and neighbors but this year time is just slipping right out of my hands. 

* * *
Bittersweet news about our sweet dog Duncan: He celebrated his 11th birthday on Sunday with a pupcake and a small party with one of his doggy friends. He enjoyed it so much. But he is clearly declining. The hospice vet stopped by again yesterday, we had a serious discussion and scheduled a euthanasia date in a couple of weeks. 


9 comments:

  1. They say when a dog goes , a piece of your heart goes with him or her . I speak from experience that this is true . Life is never the same again . I think you know that already and have created happy joyful moments in the time leading up to this . All my love and heart to you and Duncan … he will go happily taking a bit of each of you .. and leave you with a bit of him . We are so lucky to have known their love . ❤️. Take care , my lovely friend . Heera

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about Duncan. I felt a lump in my throat when I read the last line. I wish you and your family peace and strength at this time, Nupur. Some holidays are somber reminders to live in the present moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is heartbreaking about Duncan. Please give him a big hug from me. Reading about his little birthday party made me tear up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, heartbreaking... I imagine there is something in here for each one of us to learn about life, love and letting go. Much love to all of you and sweet Duncan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about Duncan, but glad that you've gotten as much time with him as you have. I hope that y'all can squeeze a lot of love and happy memories into the next few weeks. My heart is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Johanna @ https://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/

    That is brilliant to have kale salad each week - I have been looking for ways to get more vegetables in my diet but have not had kale for so long - I have a favourite kale salad (https://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2016/05/only-kale-can-save-us-now-salad.html) which I used to make a lot and should go back to. Yours sounds so simple and good but I think I need a bit more flavour - though might look at simplifying my recipe.

    So sorry to hear about Duncan - it is such a difficult decision to work out when pain overcomes joy in life. He seems like such a lovely part of your family and I am sure this will be a difficult time for you and your family. Sending warm wishes.

    And your reflections on December are so lovely and generous. It seems very much about the spirit of Christmas. I have a mental christmas to do list but am getting very much distracted but still have a couple of weeks to try and do some of it. Was talking to my sister about giving presents to mechanics - mine has been so good to me that I am thinking of doing this as well as some gifts to giving trees.

    PS hope this goes through as I could not get my comment on a previous post to be published

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have been a silent reader on your blog for the past several years....sorry to hear about Duncan - he will live on in your hearts and bring joy via the memories....take care

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about Duncan! but i am sure you will cherish the memories. my thoughts are with you and your family. and a big hug to Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Nupur, I am so sorry about Vaghoba. It must be so very difficult for you all. I know this is late, but I was in India on a Family medical emergency, I hope you all were strong when it was time. Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.