Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Sheet Pan Pancakes & Homemade Syrup

I haven't made regular pancakes- in a skillet, on the stove- ever since I discovered this recipe for sheet pan pancakes. You get the same fluffy, irresistible pancake, only in a rectangular slice. Not one but sixteen slices, baked all at once. 

This recipe is great not just for brunch gatherings and birthday sleepover breakfasts, but is also a great meal prep idea. The pancake slices can be refrigerated or frozen and reheated to be as good as new for breakfasts during the week. With my kids getting older and with seemingly bottomless appetites, I have a newfound appreciation for easy recipes that make a lot of food that holds well and is ready to heat and eat. 

When I'm making this recipe as meal prep for the kids, I sub half of the all-purpose flour with other flours like wholegrain atta flour, oat flour, almond flour or some combo of these to bump up the nutrition a little. 

Giant pancake with choc chips and sprinkles

Sheet Pan Pancakes

Serves 8-12

  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
  • 2 cups buttermilk (or combo of yogurt+milk- dairy or non-dairy)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (or sub some oat flour, almond flour or wholegrain flour)
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Chopped fruit, berries, nuts, sprinkles or mini chocolate chips (optional)
  • Powdered sugar or maple syrup or other syrup or jam, for serving

  1. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 400ºF.
  2. Line a rimmed baking sheet (about 13x18 inches) with parchment paper.
  3. Melt 8 tablespoons unsalted butter in a small saucepan over medium heat or in a small microwave-safe bowl. Brush the parchment paper and sides of the baking sheet about 1 tablespoon of the melted butter using a silicone pastry brush .
  4. Whisk wet ingredients in a large bowl: 2 cups buttermilk, 2 large eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 4 tablespoons of the melted butter.
  5. Add 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
  6. Fold gently with a spatula or wooden spoon until the dry ingredients are incorporated; some small lumps are okay.
  7. Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet and smooth into an even layer. 
  8. Optionally, scatter the batter with mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, berries, banana slices or nuts- you can even scatter different sections with different toppings. 
  9. Bake until the pancake is lightly golden, cracked, and springs back when touched, 12 to 15 minutes.
  10. Remove the pancake from the oven and heat the broiler to high.
  11. Brush the remaining 3 tablespoons melted butter onto the pancake. Broil until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. 
  12. Cut into 16 rectangular pieces and serve warm with powdered sugar or maple syrup.
  13. Leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen and reheated in the microwave.

On the morning of the birthday breakfast, I realized that we were almost out of maple syrup. Rather than drive out to the store, I looked around for a recipe to make syrup with ingredients I had on hand. I tried this recipe and it worked beautifully, only, it was slightly thinner than I would have liked. You can see it in the jar in the photo above. 

Easy caramel syrup for pancakes and waffles: Stir together 1 cup water (or a little less) with 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Boil for several minutes until it gets syrupy. Turn off the heat, stir in 1/4 cup light corn syrup and vanilla extract to taste, and a pinch of salt. Cool completely and store in a jar in the fridge.

What are your best recipes for feeding a crowd (or just a couple of always-hungry kids)?

11 comments:

  1. Love the sheet pancake idea! Although pancakes aren't big in India, I do make some occasionally. My feeding a crowd recipes are chaat, pav bhaji, biryani for main course and for breakfast, probably omelette bread, upma, sandwiches or idlis.

    What are your thoughts on bread and all purpose flour? How much is too much? I'm trying to reduce our intake of bread and bakery products, hence my question.

    Belated birthday wishes to your daughter 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have lots of great ideas for feeding a crowd- idli is definitely a favorite with my kids, especially my younger one. Idlis and dal chawal are practically the only Indian foods he eats at this time. (Other than sweets and snacks of course.)

      Thanks for the birthday wishes :)

      You ask such a great question about bread and AP flour. I started to type a response and it got so long that I think I'll write a post on this soon!

      Delete
  2. This is a brilliant idea. My 12 yr old is in pancake phase and has learnt to make it on his own. Usually there are a bunch of kids at our home and with pre-teens and their huge appetites, the sheet pancake is a great idea. Even yesterday evening for dinner (lol), I made pancakes for my son and his friend. Definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love breakfast for dinner! It is often my go-to when I'm out of ingredients/ideas/time. Frankly, this recipe is easy enough that with a little help with the oven, kids 10 and over could make it on their own, and customize the toppings.

      The tween/teen appetite is really something, right? There are time I'm made this recipe thinking, I'll have pancakes for days, and then a few hours later there are just stray crumbs left on the baking sheet. Let me know if the recipe works for you :)

      Delete
    2. I made it last week, the next day after I saw this recipe as my nephews were visiting and it turned out to be a brilliant idea. I wish I could share some pictures with you to show how well they turned out to be and the kids thought it was so cool.

      Delete
    3. I made this the day last week right after seeing this on your blog as my nephews were visiting. I added strawberries, blueberries and banana before I baked it. It turned out brilliantly and the kids loved it. Wish, I could share the pictures with you.

      Delete
    4. I also meant to add that I also made a batch of French toast by baking them in the oven. I used Brioche bread and that turned out to be amazing as well. I think baking both pancakes and Frenchtoast helps you make them for a bigger crowd in lesser time

      Delete
    5. Uma- YAY I'm glad the pancake was a success for you! I love your idea of baking french toast as well. Great way to feed a brunch crowd.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely idea! How would you recommend reheating these?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good recipe for a crowd - though haven't had need of one for a while - but I have had a few meals where we do platters that are really easy and good - sausage rolls are one of my favourite crowd pleasers. Making a syrup for the pancakes is genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna- I always love looking at the sausage rolls on your blog! I need to make a batch of those for the next gathering.

      Real maple syrup is expensive and this sugar syrup is a good budget-friendly alternative, especially for a bunch of kids who drown the pancakes in syrup!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.