Sunday, August 15, 2010

Let the good times churn

So after holding out for many years, I gave in and bought an ice cream maker last week. There was much rejoicing in my household the day it arrived. I had to sit everyone down and explain that no, they could not have ice cream that very night because although the churning itself takes only 30 minutes, homemade ice cream calls for patience. The bowl has to chill for ages, the ice cream mixture has to chill for ages, after churning the ice cream has to chill for ages and so on.

I detest ice creams that are too heavy and eggy, so I am leaning towards eggless ice creams. The first recipe I tried was double chocolate peanut butter ice cream and yup, it is a keeper just like I imagined it would be.

The next one was this quick saffron coconut ice cream I first noticed on David Lebovitz's blog. The original recipe is from the Delicious Days cookbook. They're not kidding when they call it quick, in terms on hands-on time at least. My modification was to spike the mix with crushed pistachios, because kesar-pista is such a classic and popular combination. Here's how I made it:

1. In a saucepan, stir together, bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes:
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1/2 heaped cup sugar (or more to taste)
  • 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • hefty pinch of saffron threads
  • tiny pinch of salt
2. Chill the mix overnight, then churn in the ice cream maker. Add a handful of finely chopped roasted pistachios in the last minute of churning. Freeze.



I'm serving this tonight when friends come over for dinner and will update this post to tell you how they liked it. We've sneaked a few spoonfuls during the transfer process and think this ice cream tastes divine. 

Because this recipe is inspired by another blog, it goes to Blog Bites 6: The Potluck Edition. If you try a recipe from another blog and post about it in the next 15 days, you are welcome to bring it to the potluck. Entries are flooding in and this round is going to be really fun by the looks of it. 

If you have a favorite recipe for home-made ice cream or sorbet, please share it with me in the comments- thank you! I think we'll be making ice cream practically every weekend from now on. 


With snow-white coconut milk, green pistachios and saffron, this ice cream coincidentally contains the predominant colors of the Indian flag. Today is August 15th, Indian Independence Day-

Happy Birthday, India!

Home Cute Home
In the past, I've never really had the time or inclination or know-how to do any kind of thoughtful home decor other than simply creating a basic functional space to live in. But a move to a new home always provides the opportunity to start on a fresh space and we decided to put a little thought into creating a fresh and inviting place to come home to every day. I have been reading many home design blogs and they are ever so lovely and enticing and do-able- like these tutorials on Young House Love.

I started by making a simple paper wreath for the front door. I love wreaths; just like rangoli designs in India, they add a personal touch and seem to declare that this is a home, not just a house.

This tutorial from The Red Thread was so stunning. Here is my version of it-

I used a cereal carton to cut out the cardboard ring for the wreath base. The paper came from Jo Ann crafts, a retro green design and a textured yellow one. Then I cut out leaves and stapled them in place, added a bow and hung it on a wreath hanger. It is easier to make this wreath with thinner paper; the paper I used was a little difficult to fold and staple into place, but I like how it turned out.

Canine Update
A couple of you have been asking about Dale- here he is, out on a long leisurely weekend walk. All the humans and animals in St. Louis are panting in unison, because we are going through a pretty long and relentless heat wave here.

Dale strictly does not believe in change of any sort. The first day we moved to the new place, he whined ALL NIGHT about being in this new unfamiliar place- V and I were almost in tears trying to console him. The next day we bought him a new bed. What a great investment- now this dog cuddles into his hammock bed and snores through the night. He still won't run around in the backyard, preferring to stay on the back porch where he can keep an eye on us. But I know how this goes. There was a time when Dale would kick and scream when he had to get into a car, he hated it so vigorously. Now he loves car rides and tries to climb into any open car door, regardless of who the car belongs to. It is only a matter of time before he grows to love his new home. 



Flowers for Daisy
Ending this post on a solemn note- Dale and I want to offer these flowers as a tribute to Daisy, a sweet much-loved dog who passed away last week at the age of 17. Bulbul, we are so sorry for your loss.

24 comments:

  1. I scream u scream ice cream :-) mouth-watering..... We just adopted a pup and so agree with the "car statement". After lotsa coaxing and a few bumpy rides, Tipoo finally seems like he might just like going out for a ride :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! An ice cream maker is one of the few kitchen appliances I don't own, and I'm still resisting the urge to buy one! Have fun with it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats Nupur, looks like you have settled into your new place and are already making much headway into decors :) Ice-cream maker sounds perfect, I have been meaning to buy one for a while but was always worried of me going overboard with it and loosing all self-restraint :D (and why that never ever happens with going overboard with visiting gym, i never know ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. am here after a long time, and the post, a wonderful mix of recipes, home decor and pets is just the kind of engaging read i was expecting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first moved into my new house (7 years ago) my cat hid behind the claw-foot tub for about 2 months. It took 3 months for him to leave the back deck, and almost a year before he went to the way back of the back yard. Now he's relaxed and confident in his "territory," although on many days the front yard is still daunting for him to face. Dale will adjust in time. Sometimes the little creatures just don't like change!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new home. Dale will sure start to enjoy the place too, pretty soon. Ice cream maker is definitely a great investment and I cannot wait to try that coconut saffron ice cream, it sounds tooo good.. The wreath looks absolutely amazing.. Have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No doubt ice cream makers are the best and the ice cream you have here is just delicious. Yes pista does make the ice cream special.

    Good Luck with the new house Nupur. Looks like I missed the news. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, that looks amazing. I too would like to buy an ice-cream maker too. What a lovely creation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Nupur.. nice to see you are settling in nicely in the new place. The icecream looks yum. Dale's tale was funny.. I must say I would be quite alarmed if someone's dog randomly got into my car. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the new home !!The Saffron and coconut icecream sounds delicious. How have you been Nupur? Amit

    ReplyDelete
  11. icecream looks too good,.:-)and the paper craft looks too cute

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nupur
    Congrats on the new house. Dale is a lot like my little baby I guess. She likes her own home/territory so much that it is such a joy to hear her shout when the car takes the familiar bend towards home. At other places it takes her a little while to get used to

    ReplyDelete
  13. :) Icecream - I want an icecream maker too! My parents gave theirs to bro and SIL and it hasnt been used much. So I think Im hoping that they might get tired of it and pass it on ;)

    Lovely wreath - what a personal touch to make a house a home!

    Miri

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been a regular reader of your blog. Heartiest Congratulations on the new home..I am sure you will make it special with your personal touch! Very happy for you!!!

    The icecream looks and sounds delicious...coconut milk in a kesar-pista icecream would make it so tempting!

    Love to Dale and congratulations once again. Enjoy the icecreams!

    - Priti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Nupur and wishing you luck with your home decor. Thanks for sharing the link with us. It will definitely help me as we are moving to a new home in the next couple of months.
    Saffron Coconut ice cream sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, I've been toying with the idea of an ice cream maker (it seems the only reliable way to get cinnamon ice cream is to make it myself) so I'll look forward to hearing about your frozen adventures! Now, when you said you had to sit everyone down and explain that ice cream takes a bit of time, did you mean V and Dale? I could just see you patiently laying it out for the two of them... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Nupur, how appropriate. Daisy spent a good portion of each summer running around with the kids with a daisy chain (made with my beautiful daisies, she looked so goofily happy I didn't have the heart to get mad at them) around her neck made by my daughter. Enjoy Dale. Thanks for the ice cream recipe, I love ice cream and make it with liquid nitrogen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nupur I can almost taste that goodness of coconut and cream with saffron.......i am so going to try making it.......seems simple enuf.......

    ReplyDelete
  19. Coconut and Saffron… thats a match made in heaven! It really sounds so decadent… I need to get myself an ice cream maker too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I buy an ice-cream maker this Diwali, it will have something to do with this post--and thanks for the link to interior-decoration haven!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That ice cream flavor combo sounds fantastic! I want to make a coconut saffron cupcake now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rajee- Aww- congratulations on your new adopted pup. Once they figure out that rides=fun outings, it is hard to coax them to walk on their own 4 feet ;)

    Kalyn- I resisted for many years, but it looks like we will get good use out of it, great value for money in being able to make ice cream at home.

    PJ- Yes, some day I dream of being unable to resist doing 100 push ups in the morning ;)

    Gauri Gharpure- Thanks!

    Diane- Aww- they have complex emotions, these little creatures. and you can't even sit down and talk it out with them.

    Pavani- I see you using your ice cream maker for lots of goodies too, I'll have to find more recipes to try.

    indosungod- Your kulfi recipe is on my list!

    Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal- Thanks!

    SS blogs here- You should watch out, my dog also tries to enter other people's stores and homes, like, I'm tired why don't we walk in here and take a nap. Do we HAVE to go to our own home? :D

    Amit- I'm doing very well, how are you doing, Amit?

    notyet100- Thanks!

    Bong Mom- Aww, your little one is so cute, I must say I completely understand that sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Miri- Oh just borrow it and make some good use of it :) no point in letting an ice cream maker sit around.

    Priti- Thanks!

    Radhika- That link is just one of the amazing "home" blogs out there, I am amazed at what's outside the food blog world ;)

    Becky- Ooh, cinnamon ice cream, you say? Yes, one needs a big dose of patience in this household.
    It was so lovely to spot you at the brunch place last weekend!

    Bulbul- Aww, those funny sweet endless memories of these silly and utterly lovable canines.

    Food Junkie- Yup, simplest recipe ever.

    The Housewife- Yes, great combination indeed.

    Saee- I read your short story and quite loved it :)

    Stef- It would make a gorgeous cupcake for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great Recipa and as usual informative links.

    Shilpa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.