Monday, February 27, 2006

ARF Tuesday: Chipotle Burrito

Every Tuesday, Sweetnicks challenges us to *up* our nutritional awareness with her wonderful ARF/5-a-day event. My entry this week is a spicy and filling burrito that manages to pack a nutritional punch, using two antioxidant-rich foods, kidney beans and black beans; a salsa containing raspberries (another ARF-rich food) and a bunch of fresh colorful veggies.
It all started when my best friend M returned from a trip to Texas bearing foodie gifts (the best kind of gifts in my book, and this girl knows it!). The goodies consisted of a big bag of assorted dried chiles and a bottle of Mrs. Renfro's Raspberry Chipotle Salsa. Hmm...raspberry and chipotle...girl, what were you thinking?? I decided to give the salsa a chance anyway.


Chipotle Burrito

ChipotleBurrito

A. Beans mixture: Soak 1/2 cup kidney beans + 1/2 cup black beans overnight. Cook the beans till tender. Mash the beans adding a clove of garlic (minced), some salt and one chipotle chile (toasted and ground to a powder; this stuff is hot, so adjust amount to your taste).

B. Vegetable mixture: Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a skillet. Saute 1 onion, 1 green pepper, 1 yellow pepper, 1 zucchini (all cut into cubes) till the veggies are tender. Season with some salt and pepper.

C. Store-bought items:
Flour tortillas, warmed
Sour cream
Salsa (I used Raspberry-Chipotle)
Monterey Jack cheese, shredded


Assemble the tortillas as shown in the picture. Serve with more salsa to dip in. This stuff is sooo good, and equally good for you! The smoky chipotle flavor permeates the beans and jazzes them up. The over-stuffed tortilla is very filling and I needed just one for my dinner. The sweet raspberry provides a delightful contrast to the spice. If this were not enough, this is a good fridge-cleaning recipe, and any left-over odds and ends of veggies can be used up to make the veggie mixture. And now I am addicted to that raspberry-chipotle stuff. Somebody help!

16 comments:

  1. I tried a similar stuff at gourmet chef store. It was awesome even though I was skeptic like you. I still remember the taste. Yum, may be I should get some next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see u're back..and how! Fantab stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. U're back..yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must keep an eye out - great photo, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh god I wish I was ur neighbor to try all this stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! something i was really looking for! am going to make this with a small variation ..Burrito Bol ;)Thanks Nupur!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh! looks good and sounds good. Do you have the "Chipotle" chain of fast food restaurants where you live? I love their veggie burrito and often make my version at home.

    btw, I have moved from holyjalapeno to http://saffronhut.blogspot.com. Stop by sometime!

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous picture ... and so many ARFs and veggies, you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds really good Nupur! Your title made me think of the Chipotle chain as well - love their veggie burritos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mika, yeah the taste was quite memorable!

    Anon and Shvetha, :) thanks!

    AK, thanks for stopping by!

    BDSN, yeah come by anytime for a bite :)

    Hi Anu, nice to see you around...let me know how it works for you!

    Hi SaffronHut and Cathy, yeah I think there are several "Chipotle" chain restaurants in NYC, I have eaten there only once (as a rule I stay away from chains), but I did think their food was very good. I actually loved their crispy tacos and wondered if they would let me buy just the taco shells (I don't think they will).

    Sweetnicks, thanks for hosting!

    Sailu, thanks...usually the pictures I take in artificial light are just terrible, but this one surprisingly was not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nupur,

    Came here through Saffron Hut.

    Great website. I am adding you to my list of faves. Take a stroll through my blog sometime.

    -Spicehut (Sonali)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nupur,

    Came here through Saffron Hut.

    Great website. I am adding you to my list of faves. Take a stroll through my blog sometime.

    -Spicehut (Sonali)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Nupur,

    Where's the `x' dish in your Marathi cooking countdown? Waiting... :)

    Manisha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sonali, Thanks for stopping by!

    Manisha, between work and bad weather, I have not been able to but a specific ingredient for X! I should be able to do that this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.