Monday, January 29, 2024

A homestyle bell pepper stir-fry

In over two decades of cooking, and even more decades of eating, so many recipes have come in and out of my life. Sometimes I will forget about a dish for months and years, and when I make it again, it is a joyful little reunion. That's what happened with a three-pack of green bell peppers this weekend that I rescued from the clearance produce rack of the supermarket. 

I do buy green bell peppers routinely, usually using them in supporting roles in fajita-style and Chinese-style stir-fries. This time I was reminded of the Maharashtrian homestyle dish called "peeth perun bhaji", which translates roughly as "sowing flour into a vegetable dish". It is a classic Marathi way to make a quick side-dish, where you stir fry vegetables- which could be something like cabbage or capsicum/ bell pepper, or a green leafy veg, or even green onions- and you add a bit of chickpea flour/ besan, to add some body and heft to the dish. 

We ate this simple dish with rice and homemade yogurt and a Swiss chard dal, and I can honestly say it is a best thing I ate all week. Here's a brief recipe with annotations.

Bell Pepper Peeth Perun Bhaji

  1. Heat 1-2 tsp. oil in a pan and temper it with mustard seeds, asafetida and turmeric powder. This is the classic first step of Maharashtrian cooking, with a phodni/tadka/tempering of the trio- halad (turmeric), hing (asafetida), mohri (mustard seeds)
  2. Now in go 3 diced bell peppers and salt
  3. Add other spices- red chili powder and cumin-coriander powder. Dhana-jeera powder or cumin coriander powder is another classic addition- it adds plenty of flavor without heat. The red chili powder (or minced fresh green chilies) bring the heat.
  4. Stir fry for a few minutes. 
  5. Now add 3 tbsp. chickpea flour or besan and 2 tbsp. crushed roasted peanuts. The peanut powder or danyacha koot is another Marathi pantry staple and adds flavor, texture and nuttiness to many simple dishes.
  6. Cover and cook on low-medium heat for 10 minutes or more, until peppers are soft and the dish is cooked through.
  7. Finally, add 1-2 tsp. sugar or jaggery, and a generous handful of minced fresh cilantro. I'm a fan of the Maharastrian goda jevan which is typified by a hint of sweetness in savory dishes. It brings out and rounds out the flavors.

* * *

It has been a busy couple of weeks due to hosting various groups of friends/ colleagues on weekends, and running to the kids' after-school activities on weekdays. I don't get as much time to read as I'd like, but manage to read a few pages before bed. The current bedside book is Dandelion Wine, a 1957 novel by Ray Bradbury, the acclaimed author probably best known for writing Fahrenheit 451. I love his short story, There Will Come Soft Rains

Dandelion Wine is a semi-autographical work based on Bradbury's boyhood, set in the summer of 1928 in the fictional town of Green Town, Illinois. As I'm reading this, I don't find a major plot line here. It is a series of vignettes or short stories/anecdotes about 12-year old Douglas and the simple joys of summer. “Sandwich outdoors isn’t a sandwich anymore. Tastes different than indoors, notice? Got more spice. Tastes like mint and pinesap. Does wonders for the appetite.” This book is prose but reads like poetry. I'm lost in the beauty of the words and couldn't tell you the story if there is one. 

The reason I picked up this book was because of a prompt in the POPSugar reading challenge, #2: A bildungsroman. What a great word (one of those German combo words.) A bildungsroman is a genre that includes books about growing up or "coming of age", or more strictly, psychological and moral growth of the protagonist from childhood to adulthood. I must say my very favorite bildungsroman is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, the 1943 semi-autobiographical novel by Betty Smith. If you haven't already read it I highly recommend it. 

Also reading- a fun interactive NYTimes article on menu trends (full gift article here). I love perusing restaurant menus for home cooking inspiration. 

And Kamini's evocative travel article- it transported me to the mangroves. 

Tell me the highlights of your January! 

14 comments:

  1. I have tried your bell pepper bhaji many years ago and it is delicious! So much more than the sum of its parts.
    Thanks for the shout-out to the mangroves article :)
    It's been a wonderful January for me, spent mostly in India, happily away from the cold waves that swept over the NorthEast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kamini- how wonderful! January is a great time to be in India, and clearly you are having fun exploring. So true that this bhaji is way more than the sum of its humble parts.

      Delete
  2. Oh I love bhopli mirchi peeth perun bhaji and make it at least once a week. It's a great lunch box option to go with phulkas. Adding a tsp of ghee once the gas is switched off is my secret to a great bhaji.
    My ajji used to add a tbsp of metkut alongwith the besan and it just elevates the simple bhaji to a whole new level. For some strange reason, the usual accompaniments to this particular dish in our home were ALWAYS gajar tomato koshimbir and chinch-gul amti. Every single time! Food memories are so strong, aren't they?

    Preeti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Preeti- aha! Thanks for sharing your secret, I can see how that would add the perfect finish. (yes, metkut too, I might have to add some podi next time.)

      Food memories are strong indeed and that particular combo sounds so homely and divine!

      Delete
  3. Oh I tried this recipe and it was fab - hot and homely on a rainy day . I did make it with red and yellow capsicum . I didn’t have green . Still turned out great . Inspired by Preeti’s comments I also made the gajar tomato koshmbir . And I am not from Maharashtra so I don’t know about any of these but it is a keeper :) thank you . Heera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heera- I am glad the recipe worked for you!! Red and yellow capsicum are sweeter so one could even skip the sugar/jaggery. Glad you got a simple taste of Maharashtra :)

      Delete
  4. My mother used to make capsicum-besan sabzi so often, and we loved it as kids. Time to give it a try myself, I think.

    Winter = red carrots! I sometimes find good ones at our local Indian store (or at the local farmers market), so I hasten to make red carrot paayasam. I use Kalona, a brand of non-homogenized, cream top, whole milk for this paayasam, and it works great. Devised an Instant Pot recipe (in slow cooker mode)... mmm, divine.

    Also tried my hand at mixed sesame-cashew chikki for the first time, and it turned out decent.

    All in all, a successful month, I think. :)

    Lakshmi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lakshmi- these are the forgotten classics and it is so great to make them again! Give it a try for sure. Ooh red carrots payasam sounds amazing. As does the chikki. Been a while since I made either of those. I'd agree that your month sounds deliciously successful!

      Delete
  5. Absolutely love peeth peroon bhaji. Have made it with cabbage, asparagus and broccoli too. Any variation tastes great.
    Highlight of my January was attending book club meetings for two book clubs that I’m now a part of. One is a South Asian authors club and we read Cutting for Stone. It was a great read and both clubs have been very enjoyable.
    Second highlight was preparing for the District level spelling bee with my 5th grader. It was a great way to spend one on one time with him. We learned a lot, looked up images for words, talked about how he knew a certain word, goofed off, tried to come up with fun and funny ways to remember a spelling etc. He ended up winning and I’m looking forward to the coming weeks of studying with him for the regional bee. Trying to remind myself that the journey is more important than the end.

    Anu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anu- I've never made it with. broccoli or asparagus- how delightful and innovative! Your book clubs sound great. I've read Cutting for Stone a while ago and it was a good one. Congrats on your little speller and hope the regional bee goes great! It sounds like you are having great fun preparing in any case. (I tried to get my daughter into it but she wasn't interested. I love words and would love the prep, personally.)

      Delete
  6. Hi Nupur. I stumbled on your blog today, googling frozen chapati I think. I am awestruck that you are still writing (and cooking, and writing about cooking). You see, way back in 2005 or 06, I was away from family and on my own, and just starting to cook and used to often refer your posts and recipes. I kinda stopped following blogs after 2010 and am very amazed that you have continued to write in today's insta-world. I went back today and looked at some old recipes and posts of yours.

    Thanks for the wonderful whiff of nostalgia, and I hope you keep blogging.
    -Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay! Welcome back :) Yes, I am one of those relics of blogging past, still scratching out posts here and there and enjoying my cozy li'l corner of this crazy www.

      Delete
  7. from Johanna @ https://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/ - Your bell pepper dish sounds delicious - I recently tried besan in fried rice as an egg substitute which was good. But also scary to hear that peanuts are a pantry staple, given that my daughter is allergic to peanuts. I know what you mean about the joy of resurrecting old recipes - we go through phases too. Just read the NYTimes article on menus - interesting that so much of the menu trends I can relate to - though I am seeing them as I travel right now so I guess they definitely cross country borders - some of the trends are right up my street like yuzu and non-alcoholic drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna- we love making besan "omelets" as a vegan egg sub, but using it in fried rice is new to me! Very innovative!

      Where I grew up in India truly would be a scary place for your daughter because peanuts are a major crop, and peanuts in food and peanuts in peanut oil is such a common thing that folks would probably not even think to mention it. (I had not encountered anyone with a peanut allergy until moving to the states. Allergies existed of course; my sister had an egg allergy which was not terrible to handle because many people in India avoid egg due to religious reasons and it isn't in everything.)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.