Friday, January 25, 2013

Sign Up for the "Spice and Something Nice" Swap!


I was looking through my spice shelf yesterday and realized that most of my favorite spices are gifts. Like the amazing sambar powder that I won in a raffle last year from another blogger's kitchen, or the garam masala that my mother gave me that gives even the most ordinary dal fry a little something something. Getting small gifts (and sending them) in the mail is such a fun surprise and you often end up discovering new favorite things this way.

And so, on a whim, I've decided to organize a small swap where we'll send each other two small gifts: a "spice" and "something nice".

The Spice can be homemade or store-bought. It can be a powder or a paste or indeed a bottled sauce. It can come from any cuisine. It should just be something that you personally love using and want the other person to experience and enjoy. If you want to include a recipe, or a note with suggestions on how best to use the spice, that would be fine too.

Something Nice is just a small treat for the other person- a nice chocolate bar, a book or magazine, perhaps a luxurious soap or hand lotion or lip gloss, scarf or earrings, or your favorite snack or beverage. Just one small treat that you particularly love and want the other person to enjoy. Again, this can be homemade or store-bought.



An important note: This swap is only for those living in the US. Why the geographical restriction? Because shipping stuff from one country to another can be (a) expensive, (b) a hassle because of customs forms and paperwork and (c) can take a long time. I know this from doing lots of international swaps on another website. I'm very sorry if I am disappointing anyone, but keeping it within the US makes it easy and quick and affordable for the participants. If anyone outside the US is excited by the idea of such a swap, I invite them to organize a parallel swap in their own country; please feel free to copy any of these swap guidelines and let me know if I can help you in any way.

Another important note: You do not have to be a blogger to participate. You just need an e-mail address which you check on a regular basis, and you have to be willing to meet the deadlines for shipping.

So, if you want to play, here are the details:

1. Sign up by e-mailing me at onehotstove AT gmail DOT com with the following info: Your name, The US state you live in, and your e-mail address. The deadline for signing up is next Sunday, February 3, 2013. NOTE: Sign ups are now closed.

2. I will e-mail you the name and e-mail ID of your swap partner by Monday, February 4, 2013. Chat with them via e-mail and learn a bit about their likes and dislikes and them put together a small package with two things- a "spice" and "something nice".

3. Mail out your package by Sunday, February 17, 2013. Towards the end of the month, we'll start getting our gifts in the mail!

4. When your gift arrives, take a picture and e-mail it to me- I'll do a round up here so we can ooh and aah over what everyone got.

If you think your friends would like to participate, please spread the word about this swap. The more participants, the merrier! This swap calls for very little commitment and I hope it will be a fun little exercise to brighten up winter for us. Have a great weekend, everyone. 

35 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun! How do you come up with all this? I would love to take part, shall email you the details soon. Wow! I can't wait!

    - Priti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on being the first swapper on the list :)

      Delete
    2. YAY! Finally first in something! LOL!

      - Priti

      Delete
  2. What a nice way to share! Lovely.
    I can't wait to send you an email and be a part of this event.

    Look for my email by the end of the day.

    Hope you are settled in your new place Nupur!

    Thanks for sharing yummy recipes,craft ideas to books read!
    Always a pleasure to visit your virtual home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet to say that- it makes my day to know that you enjoy visiting my cozy little corner of the web. Looking forward to your sign up e-mail!

      Delete
  3. Geographic locations are such a pain...wish I could participate...waiting to see what all you guys come up with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, I know!! Maybe, just maybe you can host one in India :)??

      Delete
  4. Wow sounds cool,..wish ya happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea Nupur. I'm in. I will email you about it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea, Nupur! I'd love to participate - I will PM my email address to you.

    - Chaitanya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you my details in the email. Sounds like a fun swap. Awesome idea Nupur.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea! I am a long time reader of your blog. Would love to participate, will email you :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool Fun! Will love checking it here :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG this is so awesome. We just moved to the US from India last month, so I will be able to participate. Yippee :)

    Will definitely email you!!

    Preeti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent idea. Really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dayum... I live in Australia....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nupur, Love your idea.

    Since I blog from Mumbai, India and do not have many posts nor followers, I'd appreciate if you could intervene for a successful swap this part of the globe. I don't think any one would mind if the deadline is mid February this side as it would help in organizing.

    Good luck and happy swapping at your end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'd like to host an India-based swap, I'd be very happy to link to the announcement here on my blog and help to spread the word.

      Delete
    2. Oh Nupur, how exciting this sounds! I'd love you to do the needful at your end.

      Please let me know how do I go about it from here.

      My email address is veesaldanha at gmail dot com.

      Delete
    3. You'd have to post a similar swap announcement on your own blog (of course, writing India instead of India and your e-mail address instead of mine). Publicize the swap announcement as much as you can (eg. facebook or other social media that you may use) and send the link to me at my e-mail address so I can publicize it here.
      Then when people sign up, match partners, let them know and make sure everyone gets their swap packages in time. It is not difficult but it is time consuming and needs a bit of organization (which is why I can't handle multiple countries in this swap).

      Delete
    4. Thanks ever so much, for your guidance.

      I'll surely try it out. I've not received any comments from other bloggers from India, so I don't even know if other Indian bloggers have read my blog yet!

      Any way, as you said I'll publicize it at FB

      Delete
  14. Wow..this sounds fun..pity i live in Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. For one brief, exciting moment... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry my dear! Tell you what- next time you're in the US to visit family, we'll have our very own swap :)

      Delete
  16. No fair! You are planning a swap when I am just getting to leave to India for vacation. Since I will be gone for the 'required' 4 weeks, I am going to miss the swap!
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully there is a next one for me to join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if this one goes well and there's interest for another, we'll definitely have more!

      Delete
  17. Sure fun. want to be in. will e-mail

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks fun..I would love to be in! Thanks..BTW I tried your Biryani with some tweaks.. Came out wonderful.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Nupur I had no idea why I thought the deadline was the 6th, and I just realized it was the 3rd. I hope to participate in the next event if you organize one.

    Mamatha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dint yet get my partner email from u. It's already 9th? Divya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already sent out all e-mails with partner info. Please e-mail me. When you signed up, did you get a reply saying "thanks for signing up" from me? If not, I may not have gotten your first mail. Please e-mail me and we can figure it out.

      Delete
    2. I dint get u r reply. I forwarded the original email I sent you.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.