Sunday, August 29, 2010

BB7: The Iron Chef Edition

I watch my fair share of food-related programming on TV and one of the shows I often find while channel-surfing is Iron Chef America. In this culinary game show, a theme ingredient is revealed at the beginning of each episode, and the two competing chefs must make 5 different dishes using that ingredient. For instance, the secret ingredient may be chocolate, in which case the chefs are given access to a table laden with every form of chocolate imaginable, and the chocolate may be used in all kinds of interesting sweet and savory dishes. It is fun to see that even simple ingredients have such infinite potential, and to see a familiar ingredient being used in imaginative and new ways.

BB7 is the Iron Chef Edition.

The theme this month, inspired by the Iron Chef culinary competition, is One Ingredient, Two Ways. We are iron food bloggers, no doubt about it, but seeing as we have real lives outside of blogging, you know, little things like families, jobs, classes, kids- 5 recipes with one ingredients may be a wee ambitious, but 2 recipes is quite within our reach.

Select any ingredient- it could be a fruit, vegetable, legume, grain, herb, spice, flour, nut, even something like coconut milk or frozen peas or soy sauce or gluten. What you choose as your theme ingredient is entirely up to you. It could be something familiar or exotic.

Then, cook that ingredient in two different recipes where both recipes are inspired by other blog(s). For instance, you might choose chickpeas and make (1) hummus and (2) chana pulao. Or you might lemons and make (1) lemon rice and (2) lemon cake. You might choose coriander seeds and make two different types of masalas. This is simply a way to see how a single ingredient can have many different uses.


The Rules
  1. From now until September 25, look through your favorite blogs and use one ingredient in two different recipes
  2. The recipes have to come from other blogs; that is the whole premise of Blog Bites, so please turn to other blogs for inspiration. 
  3. The two recipes you make with one ingredient can come from the same blog or two different blogs. 
  4. Write a single post telling us about the 2 recipes you tried with one ingredient, with the following: (a) A link to the recipes on the inspiring blog(s), (b) A link to this post (the event announcement), (c) Picture of your dishes.
  5. Please write a post specifically for this event
  6. Please do NOT copy a recipe word for word from another blog- that would be both illegal and unethical. Either re-write the recipe in your own words if you have made substantial changes, or simply add a link to the recipe. One of the reasons I am hosting this event is to remind ourselves that when we use recipes from other blogs, we must be fair and honest in giving them due credit. 
Please make sure your entry meets all the rules above. Then, send me the link (URL) of your entry at the following e-mail address: OneHotStove AT gmail DOT com

You can send in as many entries as you like.

I will try my best to be a good host, by reading and leaving a comment on your post and thanking you for the entry within 2-3 days. Check back on September 26 to see the round-up. If you choose to participate, please take the time to come and read the round-up, read your fellow participants' entries and enjoy the event.

The food blog world has so many interesting events going on and it is easy to get lost in the frenzy of participating in them. For myself, I have decided to slow down and choose carefully, to participate in fewer events but spend more time writing a post specifically for that event. And then, I will try to be gracious and make sure I read and appreciate the round-up, to appreciate the theme of that event and learn something from it. I'm reminding myself that quality beats quantity every single time, and so I have tweaked the rules of this event to reflect that as well.

Thank you for your participation!

34 comments:

  1. Great theme Nupur. Looking forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the concept of this BB Nupur. You are right, when you said - Quality is more important thatn Quanitity. :)

    Cheers,
    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nupur.. this sounds like a great theme idea. Will definitely try to make it to this BB too! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful concept..will send my entries soon..

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh- dream theme! I've always wanted to give myself this challenge (I'm a sucker for those food shows too)..
    Will def. try to make this deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and when I read your post- I'd just finished making the 'quality vs quanity' statement to somebody in an entirely different context. Then read your exact same statement - made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea!
    "Allez cuisine. Let the battles begin!"
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting theme Nupur. I'm definitely going to make something for the event, now that all my guests are gone, I finally have the kitchen all to myself.
    Have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nupur, I've been a great fan of your blogs and events.
    I have a question. Do I have to have a blog dedicated to food to participate in the event? I do have a regular blog.
    Thanks
    Medha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amruta- Looking forward to your entry!

    Siri- Glad you like the theme :)

    SS blogs here- Would love to see your entry :)

    Priya- Thanks!

    Niloufer Riyaz- Thanks!

    Lavanya- Yeah, I "challenge" myself mentally as I watch the shows and think, hmm, what would I make?

    Sangeetha- LOL Let the battles begin indeed!

    Pavani- And I have guests coming this week, so let's see what I get time to make :)

    Medha- Your regular blog would be very welcome to participate! The blog does not have to be dedicated to food or anything. I hope you are able to join us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. like this edition! I can participate, I think (fingers crossed!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a wonderful theme. Love how you get these great ideas !!! Will surely try to participate. I have one question though (if you can send me an email with the response @ priya.mitharwal@gmail.com), do we have to post both the recipes together in the same post or can it be in separate blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal- I've already put that in rule #4, that it has to be a single post, meaning both recipes in one post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting, I like this! Your themes are always innovative.

    I used to be hooked on to Iron chef UK and loved watching the array of ingredients on display there. I wish I had a kitchen like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here is my entry:
    http://stephfood.com/2010/09/03/anchovy-goddess-bb7/

    My special ingredient was anchovy.

    :)
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this theme.Its going to be so much fun...

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi nupur..heres my first entry for ur wonderful theme..
    http://sonu-palatecorner.blogspot.com/2010/09/chatpata-chana-and-summer-chickpea-and.html

    i have used the main ingredient as chickpea.
    thanx ..cheers
    sonal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice theme Nupur.. and its so true, the event becomes special when we cook something especially for the event..

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh yes ..how cud i missed the # 5 rule..so sorry abt tht..no worries..will surely write a special post for this event.thanx for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nupur, here is my first entry (hopefully I can do at least one more) for your event.

    http://mharorajasthanrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/09/spinach-2-ways-palak-ki-chutney-and-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Nupur,
    I love your event and this month's theme. However, I have an aversion to posting 2 unrelated recipes together, so I posted two back-to-back recipes with oats instead, linking both to your event. If you feel it violates rule#4, let me know and I will remove the links. Thanks!

    http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2010/09/17/peach-blueberry-raspberry-crumbles/

    http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/whipped-banana-oatmeal-with-cranberries/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey nupur.. I just posted two bakes using bananas for BB7. http://ss-blogs-here.blogspot.com/2010/09/chocolate-banana-bread-and-banana-bites.html

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Nupur

    i have just posted my entry for this event.here is the link

    http://veenasvegnation.blogspot.com/2010/09/beat-root.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Nupur,

    Here is my entry.
    http://mimismommy.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/bb7-the-iron-chef-edition-blog-event/

    I've used paneer as the main ingredient. Hope I can make it...
    Thanks
    Medha

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Nupur,

    Here is my entry
    http://superyummyrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/09/magic-with-cottage-cheese-paneer.html

    the magic ingredient is paneer

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Nupur..

    Here comes my two entries with carrots and the next one is with beans..

    Have a look:1) http://priyaeasyntastyrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/09/carrot-rice-carrot-vadas.html

    2)http://priyaeasyntastyrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/09/beans-roasted-gram-curry-n-beans-pakodi.html

    Thanks in Advance.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My first entry:
    http://ohtastensee.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/kollu-kadayal-and-kollu-rasamhorsegram-dal-and-soup/

    will post one more tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  28. hey Nupur
    here is my 2nd entry
    http://superyummyrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/09/sweet-corn-delights.html

    and the magic ingredient is Sweet Corn

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Nupur,

    I am posting the link to my entries. The common ingredient being cauliflower.
    http://tamalapaku.blogspot.com/2010/09/cauliflower-kasoori-methi-curry-and.html
    tk a peek..
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Here's my entry -
    http://enjoyindianfood.blogspot.com/2010/09/iron-chef-edition-eggplantbrinjal.html

    The main ingredient is eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Nupur!

    Here's my entry:

    http://purplepaperplanes.wordpress.com/2010/09/25/secret-ingredient-bell-peppercapsicum/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nupur,

    Another entry featuring chickpeas:
    http://ohtastensee.wordpress.com/2010/09/25/easy-channa-masala-and-roasted-garlic-hummus/

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nupur,
    I hope you've received my entry. I'd sent the link across in an e-mail to you yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.