Sunday, January 14, 2024

Lentil Pasta Sauce, and my First 10K Race

We're almost halfway through January and baby, it is cold outside. Easy comfort food is on the dinner menu these days. I have 47 pasta recipes pinned in my Pasta and Italian-ish recipes Pinterest folder, and decided to try one of them- the lentil bolognese from the beautiful vegan food blog, Rainbow Plant Life

The recipe uses pantry ingredients, and is fun to make. I followed the recipe closely, but skipped the wine. I did enjoy the resulting bolognese on some whole wheat spaghetti, but it does have a slight dal-on-pasta vibe for me. The rest of the family wasn't a big fan so I likely won't make it again. But it was refreshing to try something new for dinner, and I hope to keep working through my bookmarked recipes this year to find some keepers.

Lentil bolognese

My family's favorite three pasta dishes that I keep making on repeat:

  1. Spinach lasagna
  2. Stovetop mac and cheese (with tomato, like my grandma made and my mom makes)
  3. Roasted vegetable pesto pasta salad
* * *

Watching: Project Runway season 17 (2019) on Netflix with my daughter. It is my first time watching this show and I must say it is very entertaining. My daughter is a mature 12 year old and while this isn't strictly a tween show at all, it has been fun watching it together. It is the starting point for many interesting conversations, which are difficult enough to have at this age. Yesterday's episode sparked conversations about body size and interpersonal drama, and what "kitschy" means, and when you call something kitschy, are you saying it is good or bad?  

(Mild spoilers ahead) This is the 2019 season, filmed right before the pandemic hit, and interestingly one of the contestants is named Kovid Kapoor. My husband and daughter were gobsmacked with this contestant's name. The fact is (a) Kovid (pronounced correctly with a soft D) is a beautiful name and not a common one, meaning intelligent (or similar?) in Sanskrit and (b) this show was filmed pre-pandemic and this guy was given this name 2-3 decades ago. With COVID-19, this name is sadly ruined. Also, interestingly, Kovid Kapoor had a fabric face mask as an accessory for one of his outfits- and face masks were almost unheard of in the US before the pandemic. Anyway, this all lead to some lively conversations about names and coincidences! 

Reading: My son, 7.5 years old, has always loved being read to, but has not wanted to read independently for fun. This changed recently when he got into the Dog Man and Cat Kid comic books by Dav Pilkey. I hope he will widen his reading horizons but for now I'm thankful for Pilkey's contribution to childhood literacy! We have started "snuggle reading" in the evenings- it means snuggling on the couch next to each other under fluffy throw blankets and reading together, him with his book and me with mine. I highly recommend this activity. He has also discovered the joys of snacking while reading and often brings along a little after-dinner snack like apple slices, a cheese stick or a handful of pretzels. 

In terms of blog reading, I'm doing some armchair travel and reading this epic Australian travel post by Johanna of Green Gourmet Giraffe- so vibrant and full of memories and anecdotes transporting me to beautiful places. 

And also this Marginalian post on sentimentality and mortality: The opening sentence got me in the feels- "How beautiful and unbearable that only one of each exists — each lover, each child, each dog; that this particular chance-constellation of atoms has never before existed and will never again recur in the history of the universe."

This year I'm doing some of the prompts from the POPSugar Reading Challenge for 2024. They often lead me to seek out interesting books that I would miss otherwise. Prompt #7 is A book about women's sports and/or by a woman athleteI looked for a book about running and found this one at the library: Let Your Mind Run by Deena Kastor (published in 2018). It is a memoir of a professional runner, written simply and from the heart. Full of details of runs and races, I don't know that I would loved this book if I read it before my current interest in running, but it is the perfect book for me right now. I enjoyed the glimpse into a fascinating world of professional running and elite athletes- how their talent is discovered, how they train and live, how their careers unfold. Kastor spends a lot time talking about how raw talent can only take you so far and how mental training takes you much further. The subtitle of the book- "thinking my way into victory"- overstates it in my opinion, but clearly, mindset matters a lot. 

The message of this book really came home to me yesterday when I ran my first 10K race in a neighboring town. It was only the third(!) time in my life running 10 kilometers all at once, and the first two times were easy training runs in the last month. 

Subjectively, the race was kind of miserable. It was a crystal clear, sparkling, sunny morning, but extremely cold, with a sharp wind that stung my face and made my eyes tear up and my nose run constantly. I started too fast, quickly ran out of gas, and at mile 4.6 I was about ready to give up. I stumbled my way through the rest of the course, mentally berating myself for wanting to do this in the first place. But I made it somehow to the finish line where my running buddy K was waiting with a big smile and hug. 

Objectively, the race was fantastic, because after all that drama, negative thoughts, sniffling and crying, I finished it in under 1 hour 10 minutes with my best pace ever. Longest run, best pace (granted, the course was a pretty flat one which helped my time). My legs are toast but I am surprised and elated. 

I have a mild (and invisible) handicap when it comes to aerobic exercise like running- a genetic hemoglobin defect called beta thalassemia minor. It results in life-long chronic anemia that is unrelated to iron-deficiency anemia (which I also occasionally have as many women do.) This becomes a psychological barrier of sorts and I need to work on my mental training as much as my physical stamina. Anyway, I'm glad I read Deena Kastor's book and got the message that I clearly needed. 

Enjoy your week, and stay warm if you're in the severe winter weather blanketing the US!

29 comments:

  1. Happy 2024, Nupur! I am amazed at number of things you are able to accomplish in a day - be it reading, cooking or thoughtful time spent with your family. I am inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a kind thing to say- but no, this is a very ordinary life I lead.

      Delete
  2. Agree with this comment about how much you get done in a day and in general .. and about your being inspiring . I wish you were my friend in real life . Heera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heera- what a kind thing to say! I'm glad we get to be virtual friends :)

      Delete
  3. Great post! Long-time reader/subscriber, first-time connector. I wish you a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... oh wait... I commented anonymously, LOL. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh. It's 2024 and I'm STILL trying to figure out the internet, LOL. Anyway, Great post. Now I'm unanonymously wishing you and your family a happy new year! 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faith- Thank you for the kind wishes! I hope you have a wonderful year too! (the Internet is explicable and I spend too much here)

      Delete
  6. Hilarious, the Kovid anecdote! Such a nice name, though... haha! Btw, I read a book recently that I loved so much. It's "Wellness" by Nathan Hill; do give it a try if you are able to.

    Lakshmi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lakshmi- ha ha, isn't it a nice name though? These days should we pray that our name doesn't get coined as the latest disease?! (Yours is a classic and is no danger of being so.)

      Thanks for the reco about Wellness, I have put it on my to-read list!! Sounds very interesting.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on your 10K race and personal best pace! Deena Kastor is amazing. Another running hero of mine is Des Linden, who won the 2018 Boston marathon under brutal weather conditions. And after waiting for another American elite runner who had to stop to use the restroom! You can find the "highlights" version of the race on Youtube, gives me goosebumps every time. She wrote a memoir that's on my reading list. Two other running books that I enjoyed: "Eat and Run" by Scott Jurek, ultramarathon champion and vegan, and "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RS- Thank you for this wonderful note!! I am enjoying learning about these running personalities and their journeys. I will look for that video. Thanks for the book recos too, they are going on my to-read list!

      Are you a recreational or competitive runner, and what distances do you like to run?

      Delete
    2. Definitely recreational runner! I have done a marathon, half-marathon, 10Ks and 5Ks in the past. My current running focus is streamlined to be simply to run (1) consistently - run most days of the week regardless of duration/speed/hills and (2) sustainably - minimize risk of injury, so make sure to warm-up and cool-down, stretch, strength training etc. All the best in your running journey, it is such an efficient way to exercise.

      Delete
  8. LOL Captain Underpants unlocked a life long reading habit in my son who had refused to move into reading "chapter" books. Said child(25yo) now is a voaracious reader and can read any genre.

    So I love Dave Pilkey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vishakha- that makes me very happy to hear! It is good for these reluctant readers to find books that they like regardless of whether we think of the books as high literature ;) All these irreverent authors have my admiration.

      Delete
  9. Also I highly recommend Psych to co-watch with a mature 12 yo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Psych and we tried watching that together but the storylines did not hold her attention!

      Delete
  10. from Johanna @ https://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/

    Thanks for mentioning my travels post - it has been over a year in the writing so I was glad to get it finally posted.

    I love the sound of that pasta recipe - have bookmarked it to try one day - though like you I have so many that I intend to try that one of 47 is a win!

    I wonder how the people named Kovid have gone through the pandemic - such a shame for them.

    And that is great that you did a 10km run - I am so impressed - have never had any interest in running but it is amazing to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna- that post did look like it was a lot of work, both the writing and the pics. Great to hear all the anecdotes and memories.

      Yeah, what a curveball life can throw, when your name is suddenly the most imfamous word on the planet? One guy is taking it with good humor: https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/india/india-kovid-kapoor-name-twitter-b1987772.html

      I've never watched running but it has been fun to get into it, it is a whole new world!

      Delete
  11. Lovely to read your blog! Congrats on the 10K race. I have never done a race and want to put it on bucket list. I am not a runner, so I will probably walk it.
    Working through your Pinterest folder is a great idea and is inspiring me to do the same. How do you keep track of what you plan to make? Do you have a system?
    My daughter and I do snuggle reading before we go to bed. One of the best times of my day. Although she will constantly want to share what she is reading - very cute- but I can't read a sentence in peace ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I do hope you get to do a race sometime- for me, races so far have been positive and inspiring experiences. You see all sorts of people out there just doing their best. Everyone is kind and supportive, it is a great feeling of humanity and community- and speed/pace/time etc. is irrelevant for most.

      I have no system whatsoever for working through bookmarked recipes. I go for whatever my mood says/ whatever ingredients are on hand, or what the season dictates. This is a good time to try some soup recipes- it is freezing here.

      I loved hearing about your snuggle reading. You also have one of those chatty one huh :)

      Delete
  12. Hey Nupur, Long time reader but very rarely comment here. Like others have mentioned here, I have been inspired by you, be it trying new dishes (rice paper rolls for example is something that I tried after reading your post), making greener choices ( taking my own containers to restaurants to get take outs for example). I remember reading a post about theme of birthday being “birthday”. This is a breath of fresh air when driven by social media, people dump insane amount of money/resources to hosting parties and buying stuff that will be thrown away. Recently went out with a few friends of mine and one of them was appalled that I brought my own container and was so embarrassed to carry the take out in that. I was thinking I wish she knew you/ people like you who made sustainable choices and how normal it is. We have been reading more about sustainable options and we “try” but were horrified to know that recyclable containers cannot be recycled more than 4-5 times. Would like to learn/ read more about any other sustainable practices you have been following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Uma! Thank you so much for this kind note! I'm sorry you faced judgement for something as innocuous as a takeout container. That reaction says more about the other person than about you.

      I've been doing the same things more or less- eating mostly plant-based (and completely meatless), minimizing food waste, reusing, thrifting as much as possible. It is more about staying true to my core values (simplicity and moderation) than any delusions about saving the world!

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on the 10k!! I used to love watching Project Runway years ago, didn’t know they had a new season! I’m sure my 14 year old will love watching it with me. On the topic of snuggle reading, our book club was talking about our favorites places to read as kids and several of us have fond memories of reading sideways in an armchair with our feet dangling off the arms. Funny how some things can be universal. One day your son might remember the times you snuggle read as his favorite place to read! Not sure what grade he’s in but our school district has a wonderful program called Name That Book and they have a list of 100 books from various genres for kids 3rd-5th grade and a lot of them have ended up being some of my kids’ favorite books. You can google cfisd name that book to find the list if you’re on the lookout for some titles to borrow. Dog Man books are a favorite at our home too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is the first time I'm watching Project Runway, it is the 2019 season (season 17, I believe) that showed up in my Netflix recos. It is a good one, and I'm in love with the designs by one particular designer- Sebastian.

      Ha ha so true that comfort reading evokes strong memories. I hope my son will associate reading with enjoyment and safety. Thanks for the book list! It looks great and most titles are new to me. My son is a second grader and just getting into chapter books.

      Delete
  14. Hey Nupur....long time follower of your blog. I just had to comment when I read about your condition because I have the same. Literally gave me goosebumps because I,ḿ training for my first 5K run this Spring. I have always held myself back from athletic stuff as I doubted my stamina. Funny though because I feel much stronger physically as I,m getting older. lol. I,ḿ 52 now but 25 at heart :). Wish me luck on the 5K. Absolutely love your blog and share your sentiments on Lifestyle choices - Healthy, Simple, Sustainable, Thrifting....list goes on. Stay well and keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roshni! Thank you for this note! How funny that we have so much in common. I completely understand what you mean about feeling stronger even as we get older. Truly, exercise has a dramatic effect on aging. All my very best for your first 5K- how exciting! I have come to love races for how much humanity you get to witness- people of all ages just going for it in their own way. We all inspire each other.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.