Monday, August 26, 2024

Mexican Rice and Brothy Beans

I remember reading a funny little quote that said something to the effect that the definition of family is a group of people, no two of whom like eggs cooked in the same way. The challenge of food preference is real! I try not to be a short order cook but it happens all too often that I make something for dinner and end up fixing something different for each of the kids because they won't eat it. 

Mexican rice and beans is one of the few that we will all eat, so that's frequently on the dinner menu. This is also an example of how much I use my Instant Pot- I have two IP inserts, and with this meal, they both get used one after the other- making the rice first, and the beans second, as the latter can have a long natural release. These are also dishes that you can make in some quantity for meal-prep purposes, and my daughter will eat cheesy rice and beans in her lunchbox. She takes one of those insulated food jars. 

The beans: I forgot to soak pinto beans overnight, but a 6-hour soak in boiling water did the trick. Canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce do all the heavy lifting here as far as flavor is concerned. I followed this recipe loosely, adding a whole dried Pasilla chili too, since I happened to have some in the pantry. 


I used this recipe for the Mexican/Spanish rice, adding some mushrooms this time. And to go with the meal- a creamy cucumber and avocado salad. This is such an easy and satisfying dinner.

* * *

A group of friends were meeting up at the botanical garden- we have boys of similar ages who were in the same daycare center years ago- and I thought of baking a snack cake to take along. With a box of ripe bananas stashed away in the freezer, I made this marbled banana cake

Other than cutting down the amount of sugar, I followed the recipe closely. It is different from other marbled cakes that I have made before because instead of mixing cocoa powder into a portion of the batter to make the chocolate portion, you swirl ganache into the batter. I pulled the cake out of the oven, recklessly turned it out after just 10 minutes and took it straight to the play date in a cake carrier. The warm slices of fresh-baked cake were a treat.

No pic of the cake- it was devoured quickly- but here's a picture of the bundt pan (the preciousss)- one of my prized baking tools and one that I bought at the Nordicware factory in Minneapolis. 

* * *

Media round-up: My son asked me a surprising question: when and how did the universe begin? The question surprised me because his usual preoccupations are Pokemon and video games, and our conversations rarely involve topics of great mystery such as the birth of the universe. The other reason it surprised me was that I had been listening to a podcast episode on just this topic, so I could impress him by saying with great confidence that the universe is 13.8 billion years ago. ("I thought it would be trillions and trillions of years", he said.)

  • The podcast episode I listened to was Episode 1: The First Fraction of a Second of Crash Course Pods: The Universe. It is fantastic- "We are made of big bang stuff". 
  • We watched this <6 min National Geographic video on YouTube and it is such a great, succinct explanation of the Big Bang theory.
  • I spotted this book on the "new books" shelf and checked it out immediately: Space Oddities by Harry Cliff. The book discusses a lot of oddities or anomalies, unexpected results that seems to contradict our accepted ideas of how the universe works and explains that they can be flukes or glitches, OR they can lift the veil on nature’s best kept secrets. I'm halfway through and not all of the chapters are equally interesting to me, but the first chapter, The Cosmic Story, is excellent! It is one of the best descriptions I have read that explain the standard model of particle physics and the standard cosmological model in simple terms. It definitely pushed along my feeble layperson understanding of these incredibly fascinating topics. 
  • In non-big-bang related media, I've been trying to sink my teeth into a good fiction book but have encountered a series of duds lately. I picked up a much-recommended murder mystery, Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone by Benjamin Stevenson, but it did not hold my attention and will be a DNF (did not finish.)
  • We watched The Mask (1994) on Tubi- a zany and ridiculous movie but fun to watch for sure. My sister still quotes lines from this movie. 

* * *

A Moment of Fitness: Today, I'm talking about a basic question- How much exercise do we need? Guidelines from well-respected public health agencies like the CDC and the WHO agree on exercise recommendations for healthy adults. In a nutshell, it is health-promoting to get the following in one week-

  • Aerobic activity: 150 minutes of moderate-intensity activity OR 75 minutes of vigorous-level activity. 
    • Aerobic activities are what we know as "cardio" and include brisk walking, jogging, swimming, biking, dancing, tennis, and many others- their defining characteristic is that they get your heart rate up, and get you breathing a little harder. 
    • How do you know whether your activity is moderate or vigorous? An easy way is the "talk test"- if you can talk but not sing while doing the activity, it is of moderate intensity. If you can't say more than a couple of words before getting out of breath, it is of vigorous intensity. (If you can sing while doing the activity, kindly pick up the pace :))
    • 150 minutes of moderate cardio could be 30 minutes of brisk jogging/walk-run intervals/light jogging 5 days a week. Or 2 dance classes, and some walking. There are many ways to do this. 10 minutes of brisk walking after most meals will even do it! 
    • If you are conditioned enough to undertake vigorous cardio like running, 75 minutes/week is very doable- a few short runs will get you there.
  • Muscle-strengthening activity: at least 2 sessions a week. These can be bodyweight or weightlifting exercises. More on this in a future post. 

For adults 65+, the recommendations are to add two sessions of balance exercises in a week. An activity like yoga will cover both muscle strengthening and balance. 

Why is it important to know this? 

  • You can compare your current activity to the recommended levels and see where you stand, and you can slowly ramp up your exercise to recommended levels if they're not there already. Every little bit counts. 
  • For people who have some anxiety that "I feel like what I'm doing is never enough", (one of my friends said this to me verbatim), this kind of guidance provides reassurance that no, you don't need to exercise all day, every day. It is more like exercising 4-6 days of the week, 45-60 minutes per day, which is reasonable to build into one's schedule for most people. (Consider how much time we spend on our phones and on social media, as a comparator. I don't know about you but I always grimace when my weekly screen time notification pops up on my phone).
  • If you're only doing cardio or only lifting weights, the recommendations are a gentle reminder to do a bit of both for optimal fitness.
Have a great week, all! 

8 comments:

  1. The cake sounds amazing! I am always suprised how you decide to bake at hime instead of grabbing brownies at the store!
    Have you tried reading Kevin Kwan (of Crazy Rich Asians)? I am reading his Lies and Weddings right now and it is so fun!
    Love seeing your fitness journey. I have so much to say about fitness as I am also on a journey and do physical activity as my research (my job I mean....I am Professor ;) ) I read Stacy Sims recently and have several nuggets I have taken away from her. I do short burts of HITs and have tried increasing my weights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sangeetha- ha, I grab my fair share of store-bought treats too ;)

      I haven't read Kevin Kwan- I'll give it a try!!

      You research physical activity? Tell me more about what you're studying, and good luck with your work- very important stuff. Stacy Sims has interesting content, I've read some of her blog posts.

      Delete
  2. How do your feel about using canned food , Nupur ? Not part of our culinary customs in India and often unable to determine if the quality / downsides of the preservatives keep me away from buying canned food ( not to mention the hassle of opening a can) . Love your updates as usual :) you have certainly set me thinking about new fitness goals . Shalini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shalini! I use some canned food for sure, not on a daily basis but several canned foods are pantry staples (listed below). The canning process IS the preservative, and many canned foods are not in fact loaded with preservatives. I evaluate them on a case by case basis.

      I prefer using dried beans because they are cheaper and tastier than canned, but ALWAYS have some canned beans on hand for last minute meals. Pinto beans and black beans (kids love cheesy rice and beans, and quesadillas), kidney beans for quick rajma curry.

      I use canned crushed tomatoes/ diced tomatoes a lot, for curries and such- tomatoes go into so many dishes. I keep some canned soup on hand for cough/cold bouts (which are frequently going around with school-aged kids), and canned veg chili for emergency meals. A few cans of canned pineapple and mandarin oranges (and condensed milk and evaporated milk) for occasional desserts and fruit salads. Canned coconut milk is handy for curries too.

      And I buy some random canned stuff like the chipotles in adobo and canned green chiles for example.

      Basically, canned food is cheap and convenient and helps me make quick meals and has saved me countless times from having to get take-out!

      Delete
  3. That is interesting that you find Mexican food covers all bases. If I go to a shared meal with all my siblings we often have Mexican because it covers celiac, vegetarian and nut allergies which need to be catered.

    I too have had problems with getting books finished - lately I am struggling to finish a novel by Anna Funder who has been a favourite writer of mine. I hope I can return to it another time when I have more energy for it. My favourite novel lately is Molly Fox's birthday by Deirdre Madden. It is so lovely with interesting characters and beautiful descriptive writing - I started it not sure about it and by the end it had reeled me in.

    And that is really useful re the exercise - I have checked off my week against it and am getting there but slightly lacking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna- Definitely- I love Mexican food for the mix-and-match options- you can set out the ingredients and each person can customize their bowl. Very true that it caters to the nut-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free crowd too.

      I feel like my reading ebbs and flows. Right now I am in an excellent non-fiction reading phase but the fiction isn't keeping me interested. That said, I started a new mystery that seems promising!

      Your bike commute gets you a long way towards exercise goals, I'm sure. It is good to see where we have gaps- the first step towards filling them in.

      Delete
  4. I already am a huge fan of your blogging style where you post recipes with your own twists, reading, parenting, hobbies etc. The new A Moment of Fitness add on is the cherry on top. I can see how you are sharing your knowledge of fitness in a thoughtful manner and in bite-sized chunks. Much appreciated. - Bharathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this kind note, Bharathy! I am glad you are enjoying this new segment- I really enjoy writing it. It is a fascinating subject.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment- I try to respond to every single one.